Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Problem with digital wellbeing on my Galaxy S6 Tab LTE

(Topic created on: 16-04-2023 03:24 PM)
WobSleptHere
Pioneer
Options

After a recent System Update on my Galaxy S6 Tab LTE I discovered that suddenly some websites (which previously worked 100%) were being blocked by the tablet for no apparent reason. Someone suggested it might be caused by Digital Wellbeing and parental controls. I had never used this system before, but I assumed that this Digital Wellbeing might have to be used to clear up the problem. So I played around with it for a bit and thought that maybe it was my web browsers causing the problem. I therefore played with Digital Wellbeing and ended up setting some App timers thinking that might help.

Unfortunately it did not resolve the website blocking problem but created an new problem. I now find that daily timers have been set for 4 of my Apps and I can't find any way of removing these timers as they are just a nuisance. Can someone advise me how to remove the timers altogether?

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
Fiona26
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
Clear the digital wellbeing data. Should clear anything that was set up in the app.
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@WobSleptHere: You can remove an app timer by heading to Settings > Digital Wellbeing and parental control > App timers > Select an app > App timer (tap the hourglass symbol to the right) > Set the time to 00:00 > Done. 

0 Likes
WobSleptHere
Pioneer
Options

@Fiona26 wrote:
Clear the digital wellbeing data. Should clear anything that was set up in the app.

How do I do that? I've been searching my device and find no such dialogue. To get to my device's Digital Welbeing:
1 I go to device "Settings" and search for Digital Wellbeing
2 That gives me a screen headed Digital Wellbeing and parental controls and I attach further screens (see attached screenshots)
Please tell me where I go to clear the data.

Screenshot Digital Wellbeing Settings Suggestions.jpgScreenshot Digital Wellbeing.jpg

Fiona26
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
Do what @AndrewL suggests first. As clearing the data will erase everything in digital wellbeing. Settings > Apps > digital wellbeing app. Then scroll down to storage. You will see clear data at the bottom.
0 Likes
WobSleptHere
Pioneer
Options

Thanks for the suggestions. The confusing part for me of the Digital Wellbeing system is that my tablet was working pretty much 100% perfectly until about a week ago. Then there was a Samsung/Android Update notification and, as I have done many times before, I carried out the Update and was notified of successful Update completion. However suddenly I discovered that a number of websites were now being blocked by the tablet For example:
outbrain.com
I have a number of other devices on my Wifi and all of them continued to access outbrain.com (and all the websites that the tablet was now blocking). Someone suggested to me that the problem could be caused by a setting on Digital Wellbeing (which I had never used before) but was told might  initiate such website blocks. So this got me playing with Digital Wellbeing a couple of days ago. Interestingly, the good news is, that all the previously blocked are now working even though I have no idea what setting in Digital Wellbeing would have done that.
The bad news is that I'm now left with all this "timer" data which it seems is there to limit the time I spend on particular apps. I'm very puzzled as to why setting/changing the timers could have solved my website blocks. If I set a daily time limit of say 4 hours on a web browser, how would that cancel the block on various websites (eg outbrain.com) which have now returned to full access? My concern now is: if I continue to change the Digital Wellbeing settings (eg by clearing the data), am I likely to reinstate these very annoying website blocks?

Fiona26
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
If it was me, I think I would back up the tablet. So you don't lose any important stuff. And factory reset. You could try to wipe the cache partition first. Lots of videos on you tube on how to do this. If that doesn't work, maybe factory reset. Good luck.
0 Likes
Solution
WobSleptHere
Pioneer
Options

@Fiona26 wrote:
If it was me, I think I would back up the tablet. So you don't lose any important stuff. And factory reset. You could try to wipe the cache partition first. Lots of videos on you tube on how to do this. If that doesn't work, maybe factory reset. Good luck.

Thanks, but I think I've finally discovered the cause of the problem. It relates to blockage of the website:
outbrain.com
Although I've never directly tried to access that site, but found Apps indicating that this site was now blocked. In searching around, outbrain.com turned out to be an advertising related website. After a significant amount of research, I've found that the Samsung/Android Update secretly activated an Ad-blocker which caused a number of websites to be blocked on my tablet (including outbrain.com). I've now finally managed to clear this blocking.

It would be helpful if Samsung could improve their System Update by not secretly activating or initiating an ad-blocker in this way.