Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ONE UI 3 HAS RUINED & BROKEN SPLIT SCREEN

(Topic created on: 01-03-2021 08:14 PM)
AndroSam
Explorer
Options
I'm absolutely furious how the recent update has completely changed the way split screen works without any option to change it back to the old way - and no warning at all prior to the update.

The recent 3.0 One UI update has decreased the functionality of the split screen.
1. Only allowing app pairs
2. Not allowing integration or access to recent apps
3. Not allowing the quick swap of the left panel
4. Removing access to the homescreen whilst in split screen
5. Requiring you to make endless number of app pairs in order for you to just switch your set-up
6. Completely breaking the app pair if you press the home button.
7. Once in app pair mode - removing the individual app from your recents - making it inaccessible in full screen again
8. YouTube videos used to keep playing if on your right panel and you broke away from the split screen, now they just stop whatever you end up doing or switching too
9. If you're starting a splti screen, you most likely want to put it with one of the other recent apps you're just using. If that's not immediately in your edge app display - you have to schroll, or go through the gallery to find it - thus taking numerous extra steps just to start a split screen.

And the list goes on in a number of ways that have just made split screen useless.

You have to follow the updates in order to keep up with security updates - and often minor UI updates are welcome and OK.

But when you dramatically change the core functionality of certain aspects of the system - I suddenly have a different tablet to the one I paid for. And I spent a lot of money on the S7+ as well as time getting used to a certain workflow, expectations of functionality, and muscle memory on how these work.

This absolutely must be rolled back to it's former functionality - or at the very, very least- provide an option to use the same way as the old version. I'm certain there is no power user that would find this new version more useful.

Samsung should never make such a dramatic change to a function without initially allowing users to use it the old way if that's preferred for them.

This basically means I will not follow a system update again (because the same thing happened before years ago on my Galaxy Note 8 and it was ridiculous) - thus comprimising the security of my tablet.

Edit: Added to the list
42 REPLIES 42
Ksmy89
Troubleshooter
Options
Wouldn't you need to scroll all the way through your recent apps to find an app you didn't regularly use though? Or find it in your app draw via the home screen?

I've added 22 apps to my Edge panel, that I can just scroll down 🤷‍♀️
0 Likes
AndroSam
Explorer
Options
Apps come up all the time that you don't use that are either linked via something else or have popped up during the course of doing something else - they're in your recent at that point in time, not in your edge panel.

If you like scrolling looking for something you just had up on your screen already, adding and organising a second app tray, then great. Samsung has a tablet for you.

The irony is that's not even the only issue after all that.
Ksmy89
Troubleshooter
Options
I use Dex for work productivity mainly, which suits me fine 👍

Sadly, I don't think Samsung will change it, I'll stop trying to help.
0 Likes
AndroSam
Explorer
Options
Appreciate the Odin suggestion.
People should also vocalise obvious design issues more, rather than rationalise and try to accept what they've been given. Samsung can / could / should change it, if it's bought to their attention.
AM4N
Voyager
Options
There's not even 1 thing the Note 8 is better at then the Note 20
0 Likes
AndroSam
Explorer
Options
Note 20 has the expected improvements but it wasn't designed better.
And Note 8 was a £850 phone, vs £1250 Note 20. And it's not £400 better.
- Battery life was better on note 8
- Form factor and design better (no table wobble), could use with one hand still
- Sensible 2x Zoom for portraiture photography, not a pointless 5x take a photo of the moon lens
- Exonyos chips were actually better than Snapdragon at that time
- Physical fingerprint button (with slide down for notifications) was better than the invisible finger print reader
0 Likes
AM4N
Voyager
Options
You can pull down the notification panel by swiping down on the screen, battery life is expected to be less with 120hz.
0 Likes
Athena
First Poster
Options

I totally agree with you. I used to use this feature all the time and now it's worthless. When we had access to add from Recents, we could split screen documents or specific open web pages, etc. Having to use apps from Edge Screen doesn't solve that problem and requires 3 extra steps. I'm also experiencing problems just closing the split screens. Whoever this person is in the thread who keeps arguing with you about it has obviously never used it as frequently as we do.

I just got the software update yesterday and I'm not really seeing any improvements in anything useful, but it screwed up split screen and then suddenly overnight my double tap to lock screen stopped working. These are the 2 features I've always loved.

Samsung should be very specific about what they are updating and changing so we can make an informed decision.

Roxtar
Student
Options

Created a community account just so I can agree with OP.

Samsung.. wtf were you thinking!!??

Here is my use case.

I have a note 10+ and I used to be able to watch Hulu on top of my screen with my lower screen being used for all other apps. I could hit home, cycle through all the apps I needed to use.. with the hulu app running completely uninterrupted. 

With the new update, I am only allowed to pick one F'in app to pair with. If I want to switch the bottom app, I have to hit home, restart hulu, split screen again and then select a new app in the bottom. 

This is absolutely nuts. Stop fixing things that are not broken. I am so annoyed. 

AndroSam
Explorer
Options
agreed!
0 Likes