Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Incorrect photos orientation in Samsung Gallery app

(Topic created on: 03-07-2019 04:21 PM)
cab123
Journeyman
Options

Hi there! Recently I purchased the Samsung Galaxy Tab S4. And I have found the following problem: all photos taken on my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 in portrait mode are displayed in horizontal orientation on the tablet. The problem is only in the Gallery app from Samsung. Syncing photos via Samsung Cloud. Google Photos app shows the correct orientation. And if you open the problem photo in the photo editor, it will be oriented correctly. Therefore the problem is that the Gallery app itself does not show the orientation correctly. The firmware on both devices is the latest version, as is the Gallery app. I have tried to reset factory settings on the tablet. There is no result. Samsung tech support said it couldn't replicate my problem and offered no solution. So I would be grateful for help in solving the problem. Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
dragonparadise
Student
Options

I'm experiencing the same problem since the last major S9 update a few weeks ago the Samsung gallery app does not respect exif information and shows e.g. my face sideways where any other app such as Google photos, secure gallery, photo editor shows the image in the correct orientation!

Clearly a bug, Samsung please fix. In the meantime use a gallery app that does rotate correctly.

Also I may add that this problem appeared after I copied all photos of last holiday from DCIM/Camera to /Holidays/LastHoliday.

I suspect Samsung keeps a database with exif info which now the picture is moved points to the wrong file path.

But clearing gallery cache and. thumbnails directories has not helped at all.

0 Likes
OneAvighna
First Poster
Options
Yes the issue is still there in my S9+ too. This I have started to face with the recent Gallery app updates and the issue is present only when the Samsung Gallery app is used. Other Gallery apps like quickpic don't have this issue, means Samsung Gallery app is only affected.
cab123
Journeyman
Options

I decided to forget about this problem until it touched me again. This happened after I recovered the photos from the Samsung Cloud on my Note 8 after factory reset. And what do you think? About half of the thousands of my photos - all taken in portrait mode - are now rotated sideways. The problem seems to be with Samsung Cloud. The service apparently does not read EXIF correctly when synchronizing. There is no solution on the Internet. Samsung technical support refused to help, as I mentioned before. I spent hours trying to figure out what was going on, but I didn't get any results. Samsung is one of the leading manufacturers of smartphones with billions of revenue. And I have to spend my time trying to get this $1000 device to work the way it should! I don't think that's acceptable. Well, bye, Samsung.

Solution
cab123
Journeyman
Options

Hi there. The problem was solved in Android 9.0 Pie update for both Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 and Note 8. Now all vertical photos oriented correctly. 

0 Likes
Abbe1986
First Poster
Options

This problem is back on Android 10 after the new update. Any solution to a fix? 

Doza09
First Poster
Options

You simply press edit button rotate the picture a bit then press back without saving. Exit your gallery and your pictures will be normal.

0 Likes
nikertneca
First Poster
Options

This problem is STILL present, at least on my brand new S10+. The thumbnail of any photo taken in portrait orientation is shown rotated. When opening the photo to edit, it is displayed correctly, but not if you simply preview it. Editing to rotate a tiny amount and then back does not fix the thumbnail. Deleting the thumbnail folder and clearing the cache doesn't fix the thumbnails. 

Samsung, if you're listening, this is completely UNACCEPTABLE on a phone that costs well over $1,000. If the photo editor app can get the rotation right, why can't the gallery app???

Doza09
First Poster
Options

You are right. It worked for pictures in camera folders but didn't work for photos in other folder. Maybe  you should update the photo editor  app and try again. I use galaxy note 8

0 Likes
hansened
First Poster
Options

i find when i try to export or save my pictures to my pc; they are all on one pictures folder and not in gallery albums.  when did this change. very stupid as my  lg with oreo can export and copy galleries from internal directly to a pc folder. Save all as phot galleries and not  5,000 pictures all as one folder. Is this samsung doing this or android for all ? 

I DONT recall this problem on v 9 os.  but now 10 sees all as pictures vs albums.  What is anyone thinking; or not ? using a  s9+   with same layout as my A30.    when will this be fixed to give me an internal 'gallery' folder to copy  vs. pictures 

0 Likes