Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDMI for Samsung Galaxy tab A

(Topic created on: 14-05-2020 04:55 PM)
KarenP
First Poster
Options

Hi - Can anyone receommend which sort of HDMI cable i need to connect my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2016) to either a TV or Tivo box please

0 Likes
48 REPLIES 48
supportme
First Poster
Options

well thats a bit harsh and i dont agree. Its babysitting my son during the pandemic and allowing him to do his schoolwork.

It just doesnt output to the projector over MHL. It still works perfectly, same as it did a few days ago before i started looking into mhl support.

if it advertised MHL support and didnt provide it, well thats a different story. This is a nice to have for me, not mission critical. If that was a killer feature for you, you probably should have done the research first before purchasing it and assuming that it would work. Devices often have varried feature sets at different price points. Its possible they need some sort of fancier graphics hardware than is in a $250 tablet.

according to this website, there are several samsung tablets that do support it. http://www.mhltech.org/devices.aspx?tid=1 . Perhaps it has to do with licensing. Dont know if samsung makes comments on these forms to shed some light on it, but if it doesnt have it, i am not going to waste $20 on a cable. So question answered for me.

(well i assume that by your post it doesnt have it, but actually i dont know how hard you tried to get it working. did you try multiple cables for instance, or has someone from samsung actually said it doesnt support it)

0 Likes
Deb630
Journeyman
Options

Speaking of being accurate, Dex does not work on the Tab A. They are not compatible.

Deb630
Journeyman
Options
Yeshman, You said that Dex is still an option for external display support, and it's not an option with the Tab A. They are not compatible.
0 Likes
oddio
First Poster
Options

Look into a DisplayLink(not Displayport!) style adapter. Cable matters has one around US$50.  There are larger docks $150 and up that have DisplayLink(HDMI,/Displayport out), Ethernet, more USB ports, etc some charge phones while plugged, some don't. DisplayLink has been baked into Android since version 5 or 6, but Samsung might not support for this, carrier might not in custom rom devicrs..... Dunno, need to test more.

XDADevelopersUs
Journeyman
Options

@Xapis wrote:

Is there no hardwired solution with HDMI cable?

HDMI output is possible via a USB adapter with DisplayLink chip like the 'wavlink USB 3.0 HDMI adapter' and the DisplayLink Presenter app. Go look it up in the PlayStore! 🙂

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.displaylink.presenter

0 Likes
XDADevelopersUs
Journeyman
Options

@oddio wrote:

Look into a DisplayLink(not Displayport!) style adapter. [...] DisplayLink has been baked into Android

No, it's not! I needed to install the DisplayLink Presenter app on each of my Android devices to make the DisplayLink adapter work!

0 Likes
PaulySkerrett
First Poster
Options

Samsung Galaxy Tab A does not have the application DeX on it. This unit cost a lot of change you expect to have the basic packages.

0 Likes
PaulySkerrett
First Poster
Options

I tried my adapter with my phone and it works when you try it with Samsung Galaxy Tab A you get absolutely nothing.

0 Likes
PaulySkerrett
First Poster
Options

Thank you

0 Likes
VisioTabA2017
First Poster
Options
Too late I bought mine last year!! It does have major issues , compared to the smart phone. Thought it wa just me...........
0 Likes