Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy TabPro S overheating

(Topic created on: 07-05-2018 01:22 AM)
Fsalt
Student
Options

I have my tablet for more than a year without problems. 

Today, without a reason  the top right corner is overheated and the screen shut down.

It's not even on the charger and continues to be extremely hot.

28 REPLIES 28
Ech0_
First Poster
Options

Was the only solution here to get it taken in under warranty as I'm having the same issue. If so can someone who has had it repaired give me an idea of how long I'll lose my device for?

0 Likes
Sab369
Apprentice
Options

Yes, was the only solution, toke more than a week and the device was completly set back to original setup.

0 Likes
Eu15
Apprentice
Options
I also have the same problem...except heating issue but dominantly shut down issue.
0 Likes
Javitzso
First Poster
Options

The problem is with the Intel Core M Processor's "Turbo Boost".  It's meant to help when it needs a little extra power, but on some devices it exceeds the limits (100 degrees C) and does a thermal shutdown.

I downloaded the "Intel Extreme Tuning Utility" from the Intel website and ran it. 

If you watch the "Package Temperature" in the lower right and start opening up apps (play some music, stream a video, run a game) you will see it go up and eventually hit 100 degrees and then shutdown.

Under "Core" settings, I set the following:

Processor Core IccMax: 25 A

Turbo Boost Short Power Max: 15.25 W

Turbo Boost Power Time Window: 8 seconds

Turbo Boost Power Max: 5 W

Press "Apply", do some testing and then press "Save" to save it as a new profile.

I haven't gone over 99 in my tests yet and my Samsung TabPro S is up and running for hours like it used to! 

Warning: The Intel Extreme Tuning Utility can easily lock up the system and you will probably lock it up a few times if you decide to play around with it.

There might be better settings too.  I haven't gone into the Cache, Graphics, or Other settings yet.

I haven't done any testing with with case on / case off or charging vs. discharging yet. It's possible these numbers are still too high.

AFerraraLAC
Apprentice
Options
Thank you very much, I will follow your suggestion and I will give a feedback!
0 Likes
Spiritking
First Poster
Options

My computer  frequently shuts off due to the heat in it's top right corner. Is this the same problem? Should  I follow your advice?

0 Likes
Kiboart
Explorer
Options

Same problem with my tablet Samsung TAB PRO S with the overheating. Twice it was sent to warranty and no solution. Imposible to use it in a normal way because it continuously shuts down while working. I contacted once more to Samsung and not reply. Did somebody find a long term solution? Thank you very much for your help

0 Likes
AFerraraLAC
Apprentice
Options

No solution also for me, I try to follow the different suggestions we can found in this discussion but temperatures grows the same till the shutdown. I got in touch with an official reseller but the cost of reparing or substitution are more ore less the value of the tablet so for my side the situation in blocked and it's impossible to use the device...  

0 Likes
Fsalt
Student
Options

Definitely a Samsung issue, something about the motherboard unfortunately they were not specific but they fixed it, I was still on guarantee, I'm not sure if would they bother if I wasn't, not problem now. Sorry I can't be more specific. Good luck 

0 Likes
Roy_Brown
First Poster
Options

The "Intel Extreme Tuning Utility" trick solved the overheating problems of my TabPro S. I used the same settings Javitzso suggested.

However, with Win 10 2004 update, now I'm encountering problems with the computer not waking up from sleep. I've had to disable Automatic start of XTU service, to get the tablet to reliably wake up.

Let's see if future patches of Win 10 let me go back to using XTU again.

0 Likes