Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Tab s7 screen keeps going black

(Topic created on: 28-01-2021 08:57 PM)
Amy30
Student
Options

I've had my tablet for about 2 weeks and its great but the last few times I've used it for a while, the screen keeps going black. I then have to click the lock button multiple times in order for the lock screen to turn on. My screen time out is set to 30 mins so its not that, I have the safe location on so it should stay unlocked when in my house so its not that. I also have smart stay on but it doesn't seem to help.

So yeah. Any ideas? Is it simply a defect in my tablet or is it a settings thing?

10 REPLIES 10
strawberry cake
Hotshot
Options

hello @Amy30 

try changing timeout to 10 minutes then restart the tablet

let's see the result 😉

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") strawberry cake so delicious

FlyingKiwi
Navigator
Options
@Amy30 I think the telling thing here is that you say this has only been happening the last few times that you've used the tablet and not from scratch so I doubt this is due to a fault inherent in the device. Try to think what changes that you may have made leading up to this problem eg new apps installed, configuration changes applied, many tabs left open within your browser and not closed when the browser is closed etc.

If the worst comes to the worst, there's always a factory data reset as an option and that will restore it to its native state (minus any customisations such as additional software installed). You will also lose any locally stored data thats not externally backed up so a factory data reset is usually considered to be the nuclear option of last resort, that said with a very new device, its often the quickest and easiest approach. Let us know how testing the screen time out at 10 mins goes!
0 Likes
Amy30
Student
Options

Changing the screen time out to 10 minutes helped right up until yesterday where it started to do it again and I hadn't even been using it for that long. It feels like the screen is timing out after like 30 seconds whilst I'm physically tapping on the screen. I may have to try a factory reset...

0 Likes
FlyingKiwi
Navigator
Options
If you do factory data reset it and it works perfectly in its native state (test it before loading any extra apps etc), it'd then be worth doing a progressive install an app and test, install an app and test process to try and weed out whats provoking this issue. Are there many apps loaded at the time when this problem occurs and do you have lots of tabs loaded up within your browser gobbling up memory? If so it'd be worth selecting 'close all' to see if that makes a difference.
0 Likes
TraceyJ
First Poster
Options

I just got my tablet a month ago and am having the same issue except it has happened since I first got it.  It will go black in the middle of sketching, playing or watching videos.  It's really frustrating.  

Myrtle1
First Poster
Options

Saw the answer on another same “black screen when laid down” and it’s the case it’s not factory reset it’s the stupid design of the case that Verizon sold me (and maybe you) rhat has a magnet that when it flips under so you can lay the tablet down it causes the tablet to think the whole case is covering it and it goes black.  The other post said “changed the setting and that fixed it” BUT DID NOT SAY WHAT SETTING TO DISABLE to turn off this stupidest feature I’ve even seen on a case.  Again like all things - nobody not one person used the case before they sold it!?!? I will ask the other post and post the answer for ya when he answers.  

Kristin2204
First Poster
Options

@myrtle1 Thank you. Inhad this same problem but didnt realise it was to case. Though it onlu happened when the case was on, i didnt think the magnets might have something to do with it. Thanks again

Members_2XyCu55
First Poster
Options

I think you are right 

willjoe
Explorer
Options

If the Samsung tablet cannot continue to use when it got a black screen, it is recommended to restart the tablet: Press and hold the Power button and the Volume Down Up/Down for more than 7 seconds to restart the device. Some devices long-press the Power button only for 8-10 seconds to restart.

Regards,

Will

0 Likes