Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy Tab S3 - charging issue

(Topic created on: 07-01-2020 09:54 AM)
primozk
Apprentice
Options

Hi community,

i have a weird problem with my Tab S3. Using the original charger and cable (USB C) the device will not charge anymore. When swithed off and connected to the charger it vibrates, displays the circle with the charging arrow but does not start to charge (showing charging %). Display goes off and same repeats in 10 sec intervals. Not charging also if the tablet is turned on. Same when connected to the computer. The computer also reports some issues recognizing the tablet.

I did not do any soft/hard reset.

I have already tried the same with another cables, another chargers (original with 2A charge, also slower ones and connected to a PC)  in all combinations. The same cables/chargers work normaly with a Galaxy phone, but none with the tablet. 

Tried out also all charging combinations in the settings (Fast cable charging / Protect battery) - no change.

The good thing is I could charge the tablet normally with the USB-C charger (30W, 5V 2A) from my computer (DELL) and form the computers docking station. Tried 2 different chargers worked with all of them (unfortuntelly they are not mine). 

So I'm completely puzzled... Any hint? 

Thanks, Primoz

2020-01-06 20_54_41-Window.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
BoristheBladeAU
Student
Options

Same thing happened to mine, wouldn't charge with any charger.

Left it for about 2 months and planned to send it away. Tried again yesterday and it worked as normal with a Samsung fast charger. 

My best guess is that the battery needed to be 100% flat to remember how to charge again. (I dont know if there's a BIOS battery on the motherboard maybe that needed to go flat too?) 

Works great now

View solution in context

0 Likes
32 REPLIES 32
annenmanu
First Poster
Options

well Primozk,

I have identically the same issue.

It came suddenly without any warning whatsoever.

I tried different (original) Samsung chargers  and also USB port of PC

When I use the 10 W charger and the tablet is off, it is not the circle (as shown in your picture) that appears but only a weird short light flash over the left side of the screen that repeats every 5 s or so.

I also removed the SIM and micro SD card : same problem

I did different restart options (power, volume up, home) in different combinations : the only thing that happens is that it continues to function normally (!) but does not charge, and hence drains my battery... HELP !

0 Likes
LytRodil
First Poster
Options

I have same problem with my Samsung Galaxy S3 today. It was not charging when the unit is on. But when I turned off the unit it will show the charging sign but its charging speed is very low.

Can anyone help? Thanks

0 Likes
BeepBoppity
First Poster
Options

Exactly the same problem here. Tablet does not show a charging icon, when powered on. But seems to recognize a plugged in cable somewhat when powered down. But also then the charing is not occuring normally but is shortly vibrating every 5 - 10 seconds, as if a new charger has been plugged in. Does anybody have a solution?20200322_100545.jpg

0 Likes
Saltpepper
First Poster
Options
Hi, no solution found unfortunately, but having exactly the same problem! I can only charge the tablet with high power macbook charger.
0 Likes
primozk
Apprentice
Options

nope - no solution yet for me -- still charhing with a DELL 30W charger. Any standard charger / computer USB still does not work

Rgs, Primoz

bsters
First Poster
Options

I just want to say that I am experiencing the same issues as everyone who has posted here. This charging issue just started out of no where. Macbook Pro charger will charge the tablet, but no other charger I own will.

0 Likes
BeepBoppity
First Poster
Options

Hi everyone, 

I have the luck that the issues have gone away now. Unfortunately I cannot tell you what did the trick in the end. I tried several different chargers, and also connected it via usb to my desktop pc.

Now it works like before, charging is possible with all the usual chargers.

0 Likes
darrylg
Student
Options

Thanks for this info, was able to get tablet to charge on notebook USB-C adapter. Also no idea why this happened. Was working perfect then yesterday went to charge it and just buzzed and flickered not charging as shown on this thread.

0 Likes
darrylg
Student
Options

Solved this. Had to do with USB OTG cable. 

Been charging with the 30w laptop usb charger for the last few days.

Today I plugged my OTG cable back into read a flash drive. After accessing flash drive, and disconnecting OTG. Normal charger and accessing device from laptop with standard USB-c cable started working again. Think some issue with locking port in that OTG mode. Strange that resets didnt clear it.

Apparently also having it plugged into PC and ushing power down +  vol down for a few minutes may also force reset and possibly fix it. 

Mine is working great again as normal.