Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 Freezing on Wi-Fi

(Topic created on: 07-12-2021 09:41 AM)
mrbutt89
Journeyman
Options

I have a Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 (SM-T813) that has worked without a problem for nearly three years.

But then, over the past couple of months I've had a problem with freezes and reboots. This isn't the "reboot loop" problem that other users have experienced.

By trial and error, I seem to have identified that it only happens when the tablet is sending and receiving data over the Internet, which I connect to over the home Wi-Fi. For example, it will happen when I'm browsing using Firefox, or when I'm playing a game such as Candy Crush Friends, which accesses the Internet to update my user stats. If I turn off Wi-Fi, the game will play perfectly, but when I re-enable it, there will come a point where the tablet freezes and reboots again.

I have never had a problem when I'm using the tablet offline.

I've tried changing my Wi-Fi connection from the 5 GHz side of the network to the 2.4 GHz side, but that hasn't helped.

Any other suggestions of things I can try, please?

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi
Try
Reset Network Settings

From the Home screen, navigate: Apps. Settings. Backup and reset. ...

Tap. Reset network settings. .

Tap. RESET SETTINGS. . If applicable, enter the PIN, password, fingerprint or pattern.

From the Warning prompt, tap. RESET SETTINGS. to confirm.

0 Likes
mrbutt89
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for the idea. I'd already done a factory reset of the tablet a few weeks back with no effect. Anyway, I tried your suggestion. Sadly, it hasn't made any difference. The tablet crashed again within about 15 minutes.

0 Likes
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
This page maybe helpful

How do I restart a Galaxy Tab if it appears to be frozen or not responding?

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-restart-galaxy-tab-if-it-appears-to-be-fr...
0 Likes
mrbutt89
Journeyman
Options

Thanks. I don't have a problem restarting the tablet. When it freezes, I just wait 10 seconds and it reboots itself. However, I'll work through the procedure for submitting an error report and see if that gets me somewhere.

xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Have you tried unstalling apps
Perhaps a bad app causing the issue
0 Likes
mrbutt89
Journeyman
Options

Yes, I started from scratch when I did the factory reset, but the problem came back straight away.

0 Likes
mrbutt89
Journeyman
Options

Just to provide an update... I submitted an error report through the Samsung Members app. I received a notification a couple of days later that my report was being escalated, but as yet I've received no further input from them. The workaround for stability still appears to switch off wi-fi. Not always an option if I want to access the Internet!

0 Likes
Solution
mrbutt89
Journeyman
Options

Time for a final update, and hopefully some encouragement for anyone else in the same situation as me.

Over the past couple of weeks, the freezes became more frequent, and started happening even when I was offline, so I tried another factory reset. Still no improvement.

Eventually, after a bit more reading around, I installed DroidKit and used that to reinstall the operating system. That was a few days ago now, and since doing that I haven't had any problems. All I can assume is that somehow the OS was corrupted by an app update or similar, and clearing the cache etc. didn't correct it.

It's still fairly early days, but I'm increasingly confident that my problem's solved.

0 Likes