Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy S8 Sim region lock

(Topic created on: 20-10-2017 10:14 PM)
rajkmohan
Apprentice
Options

Hi, 

I am staying in Switzerland. I am planning to buy S8 for my wife. But I came to know that S8 which I buy in Swiss will work only with European sim alone. but my wife will be travelling back to India in a some time so she need to use with indian Sim also. can someone sugges an option to buy S8 in switzerland that can work with any sim irrespective of region or suggest me options to overcoem this problem. 

Go to solution
69 REPLIES 69
nourdurra
First Poster
Options

Hi,

I am facing the same problem with Samsung S9+ , got in in Norway and it says that it´s european only, I have a SIM card from Jordan and even after using the mobile using the regional origin SIM , when I put it in the mobile I get the error (network locked sim card inserted)

I used the mobile with a Norweigian sim card for calls over 30 minutes and SMSs.

How can I fix this? 

I use both SIM cards heavily (Norwegian and Jordanian) and carrying two mobiles is not practical

0 Likes
Prasad
First Poster
Options

Your idea worked like a charm.

Thanks a lot!!

0 Likes
sally4
First Poster
Options
Hello, did you fix your problem, i have the same issue
0 Likes
ravenjee75
First Poster
Options

Hi, your phone is single sim or dual sim? if dual sim, are you make a 7 minutes called from each sim slots or only from sim 1 will do, and than the sim 2 can be use as well? Much appreciated for your replied.

0 Likes
KevYou
Journeyman
Options

Samsung support Will tell you a call is required from each, but to actually trigger the unlock needs only one call in foreign network.

Local network calls were done from both slots in my case.

0 Likes
Rew
Journeyman
Options

Hello,

I just bought a few days ago my Samsung Galaxy S8 during a trip to Europa. The phone was EU region locked and the provider and the written text on the phone box both stated that after using 5 minutes with an EU SIM card the lock would be deactivated.

As told, I used a german SIM Card for a whole day, making phone calls ( a total of close to 1 hour, single calls above 5 min, 10 min and one time 30 min to be sure), used both GSM internet and WiFi, sent SMS texts and so on. However the phone is still locked for my Turkish SIM Card. Now I'm back to Turkey. The official forum responses by moderators indicated that I should go contact my regional Samsung representative, and they would give me unlock code. However their response is "We are not responsible for phones bought abroad, we can't help you".

Now I'm left with a phone that I cannot even use. The deactivation is quite simple according to forums and youtube videos, but it doesn't work for my phone when I try the same. There are also same third party websites claiming that they can give the code, but I don't want any unofficial thing in my phone (and I don't know if it's appropriate and/or real as well).

Could you please send me a solution for? As I told, I already used my EU SIM Card (can send the screenshots) of my phone if required. I still possess my EU Sim Card, but don't want to use it further here in Turkey if possible (due to high costs in roaming).

0 Likes
CarlH
Options

Hi @Rew. Did you purchase the phone locked from a network provider or is it SIM free? 

0 Likes
Rew
Journeyman
Options

Hello, it was SIM free. I bought it on a famous online retail shop, it stated SIM free, and the comments were also agreeing.

To be sure I checked it with two different German SIM cards from different GSM providers. It worked with both of them without any problem. But when I put my Turkish SIM card in, it's a different story.

0 Likes
KevYou
Journeyman
Options

So you called a local number in Turkey using your German sim card? Thats the only part which unlocked mine (S8 & S9).

I did not read that in your description.

0 Likes
Rew
Journeyman
Options

I called another German number with a German SIM Card in Germany. I thought that was sufficient.

Should I call a Turkish number with German SIM Card from Turkey? Since now I did not try that due to high international call costs.

0 Likes