Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

failed registration on update

(Topic created on: 07-06-2022 10:14 AM)
hyperquark
First Poster
Options

Hi, new Tab s8, wi-fi. Updated May 23rd ok. Now I check for Software update and get 'registration failed', and no other response. Same for Security update. Appears to be a server to device checking issue. Will I still get auto-updates?

0 Likes
22 REPLIES 22
Davew763
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for replying. I've tried contacting Samsung online and telephone support and didn't even get close to answer, or even any assistance to resolve - just book an appointment with a Samsung engineer at my expense (even though the device is brand new!).

0 Likes
Davew763
Journeyman
Options
Thought I'd update this thread. Not good news though unfortunately. I booked an appointment with an engineer for a drop and go. I was hoping I would get to speak to the engineer for 5 mins and see if they can shed any light on the issue. I got as far as a sales rep in the shop who kindly went into the back to ask the engineer if there was a solution, without me first paying for a diagnosis. He came back and said the phone is too old (my S105g was purchased new 8 months ago!) and they haven't got a more up to date firmware to flash it. In other words they weren't interested in looking at it because its an older model. I therefore either have to buy a new phone or live with it.
0 Likes
hypoquark
Journeyman
Options
Previous issue now appears to have been fixed. Issue (June 2022) was unable to communicate with update servers on new tab S8. Got 'Registration Failed' when attempting software update. So auto update would not work either. Smart Switch update in late June worked but did not fix issue. With no follow up from Samsung on this site, I decided to wait for a fix to appear. Today I used Smart Switch to update. Took over an hour. Now have August 11th version of kernel. And as if by magic, when I go to update and it CONNECTS TO SERVERS, and tells me my software is up to date - like it should have done in June. So, problem looks fixed but yet to see if autoupdate will work. Thanks for listening.
0 Likes
Davew763
Journeyman
Options
Thanks for posting this. I'll give smart switch another go 👍
0 Likes
hypoquark
Journeyman
Options
Final update. Today my Tab S8 auto-updated itself! Now has Octobers' version of software. So the manual update using Smart Switch in September actually fixed the problem. To repeat: If you can't connect to update servers (for software or security update) using Tab S8 stand-alone, try using Smart Switch on a PC connected by USB cable to the S8. Good Luck.
Xavier77
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue with an S23 Ultra phone,  update failed reg error and secure folder app crashes as well as SHealth.    Would like to know if you get any information.   I have been down the support techs remote and at the Samsung Experience Store without resolution.  Including 5 different factory resets.   😞

0 Likes
hypoquark
Journeyman
Options
Hello Xavier, in case you can't see my last Sep 22 post here it is again:

Previous issue now appears to have been fixed. Issue (June 2022) was unable to communicate with update servers on new tab S8. Got 'Registration Failed' when attempting software update. So auto update would not work either. Smart Switch update in late June worked but did not fix issue. With no follow up from Samsung on this site, I decided to wait for a fix to appear. Today I used Smart Switch to update. Took over an hour. Now have August 11th version of kernel. And as if by magic, when I go to update and it CONNECTS TO SERVERS, and tells me my software is up to date - like it should have done in June. So, problem looks fixed but yet to see if autoupdate will work.
---------'
So my solution was using Smart Switch to update after waiting a few months. Auto Update now works fine. Has been OK since. Suspect known bug that was fixed with latest software. Maybe yours same type of problem. But I think you have done enough factory resets, so either wait for a new software update via Smart Switch, or sadly get a new phone or try exchange/refund. Good luck.
0 Likes
Nikdan
First Poster
Options

Hi @hypoquark , 

Did your problem got resolved? I recently bought a new s23 and am facing the same issue. I've been to the service center, and they've done their part of updating the software but it still says registration failed and has no record of past update details. In fact, other Samsung services also don't work on my device such as Samsung Wallet, secure folder, and Samsung pass. I've complained about it at the service center but have not found any solution yet. Are you facing these issues too?

0 Likes
Xavier77
First Poster
Options

Hi,

Yes and no,  after fighting with Samsung over my issues for 6 weeks my phone is now too old to qualify for a replacment.  They have determined it is a problem with the motherboard and are now going to swap it. 

I am not happy about them ripping apart my new phone but am out of options and tired of fighting with them.    I just want the darn thing to work.   I had my phone for 2.5 weeks when the problem started.  Took after that 6 weeks for them to confirm there was a problem.   If your phone is new get it replaced. ASAP. 

On a final note, my next phone will not be a Samsung.  I upgrade every year and this plus the issues with the Note 7 really left a bad taste on how the treat customers.   

Good luck,

Mark

0 Likes
Ricky C
First Poster
Options

Got the same problem.  Changing DNS to dns.google fixed the issue.

0 Likes