Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

failed registration on update

(Topic created on: 10-06-2022 03:40 PM)
hyperquark
First Poster
Options

Hi, new Tab s8, wi-fi. Updated May 23rd ok. Now I check for Software update and get 'registration failed', and no other response. Same for Security update. Appears to be a server to device checking issue. Will I still get auto-updates?

0 Likes
22 REPLIES 22
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Hi, the servers go down occasionally, try in a few days. You should still be good for updates.
0 Likes
hyperquark
First Poster
Options

Thanks, but confusingly my note 10+ phone and my old tabs2 connect to servers ok (both via wi-fi). It is just the new tab S8 that has the issue.

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Ha! I still have and use my Tab S2 also. I'm unsure how the servers work ie I don't know if they can be down for a device model or if they all go down. I would suggest trying over the next few days but in the meantime try clearing your system cache.
0 Likes
hypoquark
Journeyman
Options

Tried clearing system cache, no change. (Getting into recovery mode is a palaver. Need to connect usb port to desktop pc, check it sees the S8, then hold S8 side keys as per usual. If no pc then no recovery mode. Plugging in buds or charger to usb instead of pc does not work. Boy, what an undocumented torture. Maybe standing on one leg and whistling could work instead!).

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Clearing cache is a pain although I have read USBC headphones work.
Anyway, I looked into this further and found https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Tablets/TAB-S8-registration-failed/td-p/2241836

Not very helpful I'm afraid. Seems Samsung should be aware of the issue. The last post suggested trying safe mode which is a good idea.
0 Likes
hypoquark
Journeyman
Options
Have now tried 'soft reset' 'safe mode' 'clearing system cache', none of which solve the issue. Seems to me Sansung servers are replying to manual update check with 'unregistered', which should only be triggered by known states. These states need checking by Samsung. I also tried Samsung 'My Products' to see if my tab S8 was listed. Guess what, 'servers down'. So I can't check if Samsung knows about my tab S8. I guess I will have to wait, I suspect I am not the only one with this issue. Time will tell.
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
There seems to be something going with the servers. Hopefully things will get back to normal soon.
0 Likes
Davew763
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

Did anyone manage to solve this? I have the same issue with a brand new S105G.

hypoquark
Journeyman
Options

Hi, short answer is no. 2nd support error report etc., still awaiting reply. Latest news: I used Smart Switch on a PC, and it checked my S8 and downloaded (very slowly) an update. Install ok, but S8 as before. It works fine for all things except system update check and system security check. They should reply either 'all is ok, no update required' or it should update. Instead I get ' connecting to server' and 'registration failed'