Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot change between users after system shutdown

(Topic created on: 16-11-2019 11:00 AM)
firsttimebrand
Journeyman
Options

Edit 02-01-22: Apparently solution only works for some, so this is not fully solved. Hoping Samsung will fix.

Hi

First time user of Samsung and so far not impressed with the support or the product, so hope you can help!

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2019) - 10.1 (SM-T510). It is running Android 9.0008. No new software available.

The tablet is mostly going to be used by other family members, so I have created two different users. Both are restricted users, however I did also create one aditional full user to see if that mattered (it did not).

After shutdown the other users cannot be choosen. They are blacked out, when you click the user icon in the top right corner.
Once the "owner" user logs on, it is once again possible to switch between all users.
This effectively means, that if the tablet is shutdown, runs out of power etc and I am not home, it is rendered useless to the rest of the family.

Do you know how to fix this?
Is it a setting, a bug or bad feature?

I asked Samsung support, but they would not even try to help saying it is an Android problem.
I have had other Android tablets and never had this issue, the users could be picked after shutdown.
Neither the Samsung nor the Android manuals/support sites I can find suggest this is a "feature".

Please help, thank you. If this is unfixable I will have to sell and buy a different brand (and making sure it does not have the same issue).

25 REPLIES 25
MDCichetti
First Poster
Options

Hello to all you Moderators,

I'm sorry... but your "Developers" have blatantly lied to you.  I Manage the Technology devices at a Courier Company that uses 67 of these devices every single day for all our drivers.  I have 37, Galaxy A8's running Android 10, and they work just fine!!, all turn off/on, reboot, and switch users just fine.  I also have 15, Galaxy A8.4 running Android 11.  In the A8.4, You must turn OFF, Settings, "Biometrics & Security", "Other Security Settings", "Strong Protection" for it to work NORMALLY, however, the newest A7 Lite running Android 11,  which I purchased 15 of, DO NOT have this switch to turn off and I will be returning ALL of these because Samsung has now made this device totally USELESS.   If they do not fix this... I will never recommend their products for use with children, multi-users, or restricted users.  This feature should be a "Set It, and Forget It" feature.  I should not have to care if my child forgets to charge it and it dies, or if someone needs to power it OFF to save battery life because they don't have a charger handy.  

RileyHydro
First Poster
Options

This is absolutely infuriating, and it's a problem you wouldn't even think to research before you buy.

I run a small business and was attempting to use our tablets in a similar fashion as MDCichetti. But anytime my drivers allow the tablets to die or they mistakenly turn them off, they can't access their restricted user profile unless I'm come to the office and login to the admin user account first...

How does that make any f*****g sense??? Samsung has torpedoed one of their most profitable tablet demographics: SMALL BUSINESSES. Samsung, get your s**t together!

Shawn1015
First Poster
Options

I completely agree, spent an hour on the phone with Samsuck Support, was put on hold then transferred to a a password reset for Samsuck online accounts. Called back, asked for supervisor, put on mute for 20 minutes until his handle time got too high, and he dropped the call, even after I said "hello" 3 times. Called the 4th time was told it was an Android bug and provided a number for Google, which was their "Ad Words" support #. Posted a forum on their site, was told it was Samsuck's issue as it's not part of the core OS.

firsttimebrand
Journeyman
Options

I simply cannot understand that this issue is not fixed yet. After resetting my tablet (using the workaround above) we get a similar issue where the user can pick their profile, but is not getting the password option before the administrator has logged on and switched user.

I see others also still have issues. Simply bad customer service :

0 Likes
Raimoraimo
First Poster
Options

I have this same issue, still in 2023 on the Galaxy Tab A8, running Android 13. This one is not in English, but what I think was the security setting mentioned did *not* help. Very infuriating as this tablet is used by a special needs child in her school, and the staff do not obviously have access to my Google account. 

0 Likes
Case566
First Poster
Options

Same issue on tab 9 fe. This is my second Samsung device and will likely be my last out of principal. This issue hasn't been 'fixed' because it's likely been designed this way intentionally at the request of a marketing team. Why would a large corporate greed machine want to allow a device to be shared easily between users? when each user should have and pay Samsung for their own separate device. Disgusting. Samsung it's 2023 and before a device can allow any user account to sign in,  the Admin account needs to be signed into first. You've really shown your true colours here. Gross

0 Likes