Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot change between users after system shutdown

(Topic created on: 01-01-2020 08:30 PM)
firsttimebrand
Journeyman
Options

Edit 02-01-22: Apparently solution only works for some, so this is not fully solved. Hoping Samsung will fix.

Hi

First time user of Samsung and so far not impressed with the support or the product, so hope you can help!

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2019) - 10.1 (SM-T510). It is running Android 9.0008. No new software available.

The tablet is mostly going to be used by other family members, so I have created two different users. Both are restricted users, however I did also create one aditional full user to see if that mattered (it did not).

After shutdown the other users cannot be choosen. They are blacked out, when you click the user icon in the top right corner.
Once the "owner" user logs on, it is once again possible to switch between all users.
This effectively means, that if the tablet is shutdown, runs out of power etc and I am not home, it is rendered useless to the rest of the family.

Do you know how to fix this?
Is it a setting, a bug or bad feature?

I asked Samsung support, but they would not even try to help saying it is an Android problem.
I have had other Android tablets and never had this issue, the users could be picked after shutdown.
Neither the Samsung nor the Android manuals/support sites I can find suggest this is a "feature".

Please help, thank you. If this is unfixable I will have to sell and buy a different brand (and making sure it does not have the same issue).

25 REPLIES 25
apollo008
Navigator
Options

hello,
i'v seen the same question on the dutch samsung community. He contacted samsung because he bought 6 new tab a 2019 to be used in family etc and they could not help. Its strange because on the older models you could select another user without the need to first login into the main user.
Any of the admin here who want/can check this with samsung support because i thought on google there was an article saying android 9 does not do this but some companies add this to their version of android ie Samsung?

firsttimebrand
Journeyman
Options
Thank you for your reply!

Yes, it seems like such an illogical feature ud it is indeed just that.
0 Likes
andycheeseman
First Poster
Options

Also seen on my Tab 10.1. Very frustrating as this was setup as a family device.

apollo008
Navigator
Options
hello
I ask again , any of the samsung admins here who can check this for a solution with Samsung?
Admins at least reply !
AntS
Options

Hi guys,

Apologies for the lack of reply!

I've asked our software team for more info - and us Mods will let you know what we find out. :smiling-face::thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

AntS
Options

Hi all,

Following this one up. The developers have got back to us and confirmed that the 'owner' account needing to be logged in in order to switch between other accounts is normal operation that was introduced from Android 8 onwards.

0 Likes
apollo008
Navigator
Options
well that is a sad development and a step back for anyone that wants to use a samsung tablet as a family tablet. This used to work so now if you leave the tablet for the kids and for some reason the tablets locks up or needs a restart then its useless for the kids until you get home, login with your account and then switch to the kids account...Once again samsung is going backwards... you can see it with the tab a 2019 compared to tab a 2018 or even tab a 9.7 ...basic things removed...
apollo008
Navigator
Options
hello Mods ????
your devs may call it 'normal' behaviour but it certainly is not !
When is samsung going to fix this and put it back as it used to work for all their tablets?
Members_vFv5xhN
First Poster
Options

I have just purchased a T510 and set up my partner (another responsible 64 year old!) as a user today.  I was getting increasingly frustrated, wondering why he couldn't switch to the other user (it doesn't even have his name against the icon) without the need for me to log in beforehand, which is what he could do on our old tablet.  Having read the above, I now know why.  This "feature" is bizarre; what is the point of having the facility to set up more than one user if the main user always has to log in before any other user can?  The sooner Samsung (or Android?) fixes this the better