Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ant+, Bluetooth & Flight Mode

(Topic created on: 16-01-2022 04:03 PM)
MatPearsons
Apprentice
Options

I have a Tab S6 Lite that has the ANT+ capability and am trying to use it with a Tacx Neo Turbo Trainer for Zwift & Trainer road for bike training. 

For complications with my setup I don't want to use Bluetooth (hence specifically purchasing a TabS6 which has the ANT+ capability)

It all connects up and initially works, however after a few minutes the Tab stops communicating with the Turbo Trainer, it remains connected, but nothing is sent/received. 

Through a lot of testing, Ive found that in Flight Mode it works perfectly.

Obviously I can't run the internet connected apps in flight mode so this isn't a long term fix. I have also pulled the log files in developer mode and it looks like the Bluetooth is causing the ANT+ to fail in the normal mode and because bluetooth gets disabled in flight mode, this fixes it (ANT+ is not disabled in flight more as its a USB extension). The exact same thing happens if you plug in an external Garmin ANT+ adaptor so its a software issue not a hardware issue.

Im up to date with all software versions. 

Anyone seen this before? or better still got a fix for it? 

Cheers

5 REPLIES 5
Members_Q5eCebp
First Poster
Options

Hi mat having the same issue myself with wahoo kickr on the same s6 lite, seems to all load up (I can see sensors moving) then I drop into a world and everythings disconnected. How did you use the ant+ I think I've only used Bluetooth. Ended up giving up and going on wahoo systm which actually seems really good and informative but I did ideally want to play on zwift

0 Likes
MatPearsons
Apprentice
Options

you just select the devices ANT Id rather than the Bluetooth name (so just a number not a name) however the only way I get it to work reliably is in airplane mode which won’t be any good for Zwift. You can fudge things like TrainerRoad by downloading the session, enable airplane mode, do the session, disable airplane mode, then upload the completed workout. It’s pants. Samsung support insist the only option is to send it in to get the hardware checked. However it does the same when you plug an external Garmin ANT+ dongle in, and you can see from the developer debug logs that it’s the Bluetooth and ANT+ fighting fir the connection. 

0 Likes
ADAMDO
First Poster
Options

Do you have any update on this? Have you managed to work with the Ant+ and wifi at the same time reliably?

0 Likes
Banjo64
First Poster
Options

Hi Mat, thanks for your flight mode tip. I got my S6 lite working with ant+ now. Had Been ripping my hair out after buying the tablet only because it had a built in ant+ sensor.

What I have done in addition, to get internet connection is to turn on Bluetooth while still in airplane mode, tether the Bluetooth connection to my phone and use my phone's internet connection. Now when doing this my phone has to turn off WiFi to allow internet access but once the connection is made, I turn WiFi back on on my phone and now I'm using my phone as a WiFi router for my tablet. Now everything works as intended and I have WiFi too. A bit of mucking around but better than cursing and swearing at the situation.

Looks like the WiFi on the tablet is causing the ant+ connection issues not the Bluetooth. I tried all sorts of settings to turn off anything that may be using the WiFi connection that may be causing the drop-outs but nothing I tried worked. 

Anyway I can now use my tablet the way I wanted to so all is good now.

0 Likes
MatPearsons
Apprentice
Options

All,

Sorry for the delayed response. We ended up using one of these to bridge the Ant+ to Bluetooth 

https://npe-inc.com/cableinfo/

Cheers

Mat

0 Likes