Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Android 12 update has messed up 'move to SD' functionality.

(Topic created on: 06-09-2022 04:46 PM)
jasonuk
Explorer
Options

Updated my A7 Lite today with Android 12 and the apps on my SD card are no longer accessible.  The update to Android 12 has basically killed the 'Move to SD' functionality which Android 11 had.  If an app is moved to SD to fails with 'Not Enough Storage' error even though there's 10s of Gb free on the SD card.  I've tried everything; formatting/mounting & unmounting card and even a factory reset assuming the SD card was the issue but it isn't.  I copied back my music & ebook library to the SD card using my PC and they can be accessed / played / read without issue which further shows the SD card isn't the problem.

Go to solution
75 REPLIES 75
rogermw
Pioneer
Options
The reason is very spurious and totally unnecessary
Andy3
Voyager
Options
It's not restricted..you can still use your sd card so storage is not restricted. You can't move apps to sd card for a reason. If that sd card fails with that move app on it then the device then becomes unstable. The storage is not restricted in any way. I have a s22 with no sd card slot.. I use a USB c to USB a adapter to use a flash drive this can be done. It's your problem for not buying a higher internal storage device not sansungs or googles but you own fault by getting the least internal storage device going.
0 Likes
Andy3
Voyager
Options
Samsung haven't done this not at all. Google stopped moving apps to sd card not Samsung. Your missing the point here Google make android not Samsung. If you want to be able to move apps to sd card you can unlock this feature by root and move to sd card which is a rooted app even then it still does not allow all apps to be moved to sd card. The devs of the app also needs to allow move to sd card within there app. Some devs allow this feature some don't.. move to sd card is upto the dev and Google not Samsung.
0 Likes
Andy3
Voyager
Options
Even when move to sd card was a thing some apps could be moved to sd card some couldn't. Not all apps were able to be moved to sd card without root access
0 Likes
rogermw
Pioneer
Options
What an insulting answer - it was was not my fault as samsung advertised apps could be put on sd card which is why I bought it and an sd card for the apps that were designed to go on sd cards which are a lot .

Of course it is restricted you cannot put the apps on there any longer so it is severely restricted

If the device became unstable ( which it never has ) then I would move the app to the internal storage
0 Likes
Andy3
Voyager
Options
Again read the small print services and features can and will change. Samsung has never said anywhere that moving to sd card is part of there firmwares. It's unofficial that you could move apps to sd card. Its not written down its not part of the core android code. They gave you the option just because they could. Google took away move to sd card feature and samsung did not reimploment move to sd card.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ljmobile.move.app here is a link yet again to move apps to sd card but root access is required because move to sd card has never been a offical core working of any android devices to date. You can always format your sd card as internal storage if you so wish via adt. These are all unofficial ways to get move to sd card back again.. move to sd card has never ever been a offical part of android.
0 Likes
Andy3
Voyager
Options
On a side not have you made the camara store its pics to sd card? This can also stop move to sd card..your sd card may have a read and write error which also stops move to sd card.. To move to sd nothing can be using the sd card not even the camara app and there must be no read or write errors.. sd cards can have small read and write errors in them that are not detected by and disc cheaking programs. Android is very very particular with sd cards. If the is any errors regardless of how small the error is move to sd card is deactivated.. Have you tryed a factory reset since the update? If not try a factory reset.. old files can also cause this issue. You have 4 options. 1, root the device and instal move to sd card, 2 factory reset your device, 3 formate sd card as internal storage, 4 use adt to turn on move to sd card. All of these I listed seems to be way above your knowledge.
0 Likes
rogermw
Pioneer
Options
I never said they all could be
0 Likes
rogermw
Pioneer
Options
Samsung have also removed the option to format sd card as internal storage
0 Likes
Andy3
Voyager
Options
Your boring me now..about about you go try those hints and tips to get move to sd card back again rather than moan about it. If you don't try these things you won't ever be able to move to sd card. A a7 is a old thing now anyway so why not root it? The device has no warranty on it. A galaxy a7 is a device from 2018 we are now in 2022. The a7 is 4 years old now!! It's long been forgot by samsung now. All you have left is the community to help you. Look on xda developers website for your device there is loads of custom roms for it. Your not going to get any help from samsung its to old for them to care about it. Use xda developers and the community for it because that's all you have left.
0 Likes