Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Android 12 update causes black screen (Tab 7)

(Topic created on: 19-01-2022 09:57 AM)
Members_gmxfx9D
Apprentice
Options

I have just upgraded my tablet to android 12, with a nicely fully charged device. (which my activity history will show that I used it in the last few days) 

On rebooting, the screen no longer works and is black. Directly after completing the update! No other actions have taken place. 

When I plug the power cable in, it vibrates so the tablet is powered beneath the screen.

Effectively now device is a brick. All from an android software update. 

9 REPLIES 9
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi
This page may help

Blank or black display on a Samsung phone or tablet

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001470/
0 Likes
Solution
Members_gmxfx9D
Apprentice
Options

Steve,

Thanks.  you'll note the link's first few items are invalid.

1. I'd already checked the power

2. Can't remove the battery on a tab7

3. it was charged as I said.

4. Restart ... that's the helpful info.  

However, weirdly as I went to try and connect it to a TV via dex to prove it was working if the screen was done I had reconnected the keyboard, and when I then opened it back up the screen was working again with the "device updated" (ok) overlay.

The device screen was black for 10min. Device shouldn't need a restart from the update.

xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
Is this still an issue black screen

You could try a reset

Hard Reset From Startup

With the device off, press and hold the “Volume Up“, and “Power” buttons simultaneously.

Release the buttons when you see the recovery screen.

Use the volume buttons to navigate the menu and select “wipe data / factory reset“. ...

Select “factory data reset“.

LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
I would advise taking to a local phone repair shop/Samsung Repairs, as they can easily diagnose and fix this common issue. Hope this helps! 🤓
0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
You should try clearing the cache partition before resorting to a factory reset or going down the repair route, almost the same procedure as Steve described above but a different menu option to the factory reset one
0 Likes
Members_gmxfx9D
Apprentice
Options

Steve, no disrespect and thanks for trying to help ... Did you not read that I said the screen came back on when I reconnected the keyboard?  Or did you see a reply to your comment as simply that it wasn't resolved?

It's great to help, but throwing links out where most of it isn't relevant (given the context provided) and then replying with more unneeded steps when in fact a potential different issue has been reported could confuse other people looking for help for a similar issue in the future.

No.  It is no longer an issue.

Your answer was not correct, as it did not need a reset or a factory reset but there was something impacted with the keyboard it seems.  Would probably need some re-testing by samsung.  Who knows!

Members_gmxfx9D
Apprentice
Options

antikythea ... how do you propose to clear the cache when the screen was blank?

An interesting idea, but probably not going to be possible given the description of the problem, even if that's generally a good idea.

Members_gmxfx9D
Apprentice
Options

Thanks Liquidsnake.  If the problem was still persisting I'd agree that's a sensible route.

However, I'd already reported it working by this point so maybe wouldn't have been of value for me at this present moment in time.

0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Next time there's a major upgrade you may want to disconnect all devices and accessories from the Tablet before updating it. That is of course if you will bother again after this experience. Anyway, another option would have been remotely from PC via adb
0 Likes