Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions

Post your ideas here to help improve the One UI user experience and existing features!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option To Slow Charge Device Overnight

It would be great to have the option to slow charge overnight in order to extend the lifespan of the battery.

While fast charging is great, I personally charge my phone overnight and from my understanding, once the battery reaches 100% the battery will stop charging but due to the nature of Li-ion batteries, they will begin to drain soon after and therefore once the battery drops to 99%, charging will once again begin until it reaches 100% and this will repeat all night. 

As with all rechargable batteries, constant discharging and recharging from 99 to 100%, will degrade the battery over time.

Let me know what you think! 

Tags (1)
17 Comments
ETHAN0
Pathfinder
Options

@Jamsterdm Interesting! Didn't know that. Would be great if Samsung implimented it. 

ETHAN0
Pathfinder
Options

@Darryl1991 😂 I'm not sure either, couldn't find your post haha! 

ETHAN0
Pathfinder
Options

@Pinktes Thanks for supporting the idea! I think it would be used by many users so hopefully it will be implimented soon. 

ETHAN0
Pathfinder
Options

@TheSpudman Didn't think about that but you're right! That would be another great use for this feature. Thanks for your comment! 

Hewell
Apprentice
Options

Sony has it, why samsung not?

conspicade
First Poster
Options

go to device care >battery>more battery settings >fast charging ,there u can on and off u r fast charging option

barathvajan
First Poster
Options

This idea is good. I have had first hand experience of this concept in Asus phones (6Z and above). You will get two options

1. Though you are connected to fast charger, the charging rate is controlled (~ 10W I believe) and the battery will be charged without much heat over a long period of time (usually overnight)

2. The % charge can be set between 80 to 100%. So, even though you leave the phone for overnight charging, it wont charge beyond the preset % (example: If set to 80%, charging will be cut-off once the battery % reaches 80%). This feature was also provided to enhance the life of battery, as only a very small portion of energy is used for charging beyond 80% and rest is dissipated as heat.

With those two features enables, my old phone battery health was as good as new, even after 3 years of usage. 

Now, since I have upgraded to Samsung phones, such a feature is sorely missed.