Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions

Post your ideas here to help improve the One UI user experience and existing features!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIG Spell Checking Improvement!

0 Likes

I am not one who uses autocorrect, in part, indirectly because of the issue that I will address, here. But I do use spellcheck, and suggestions. I am using a Samsung S7, so perhaps, with newer phones, this issue has already been addressed, however, if not, I know that the improvements I will suggest will be appreciated by every Samsung user who does any amount of typing on their phone, cares about their spelling, and uses any of the correction options.

I've noticed an improvement, from previous versions, in that, when a misspelled word is corrected, the corrected misspelling nearly always winds up being the first suggestion in the bar, immediately following the correction, and this makes deleting these learned words far easier than it was, before. Unfortunately, these typos keep on occurring - this is the main purpose of spellcheck and autocorrect, after all: to correct typos caused by using two thumbs on a small keyboard. Having to keep re-deleting the same entries, over and over again, is more than irritating; it's a waste of time, and leaving them in the dictionary would render spellcheck - or autocorrect - completely useless. But having to remove them, again and again, renders the correction option too cumbersome and time consuming to be truly effective. So, I have a suggestion for a way to remove this problem.

If a word is deleted from the dictionary twice, or maybe three times, that entry should be blocked from reentering the dictionary. That way, when a common typo you commit keeps coming up, spellcheck will underline it, every time it comes up, saving you from having to recheck your text, manually, to be sure that the dictionary didn't miss anything. This would VASTLY improve the effectiveness of the spell correction options, and save conscientious people like me a lot of frustration and wasted time.

I want to add a further suggestion, that would be wise, if this new policy is instituted, as some people will (I don't know how, with the repeated deletions required for blocking, but some still will) make the mistake of blocking words they don't intend to block. Access to edit the dictionary manually, or to simply unblock specific words, would also be a great addition the the functionality of these features. I hope that I have  proven the efficacy of these suggestions, and have adequately illustrated the issues their lack creates. A response, either here, but preferably via email, would be appreciated. Thanks for your time and consideration.

2 Comments
Vance L
First Poster
Options

I did not notice that this page was for One UI suggestions. I will search on my own, but to anyone who could post a link to the proper page for this suggestion, please do! It would be very much appreciated.

acehighal
Apprentice
Options
Why has my word suggestion changed? When I type a word but misspell it, I only now get suggestions for replacing the word with words that start with the same letter. It used to instantly know if for instance I typed "seserved" instead of 'deserved' which is clearly the word I've misspelled, it offers me replacements such as 'selected' and 'severed', it won't suggest words starting with any other letter except S ??