Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung SmartHome app vs. Samsung SmartThings app

(Topic created on: 28-01-2020 09:25 PM)
iosifmila
Apprentice
Options

Hello everybody,

I own several Samsung devices in my home and we all love to control and monitor each of them using our smartphone. I always used the Samsung SmartHome app for iOS but recently I came across with a similar app called Samsung SmartThings (also known as Samsung Connect).

Both apps seem to do the same thing. The Samsung SmartThings app seems more polished and modern looking. 

What is actually the difference between the two apps ?

Why is Samsung keeping two different apps for the same purpose ?

Is Samsung SmartHome considered "legacy" and Samsung SmartThings is the new app ?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
TracyR
Options

Hey @iosifmila

The Smartthings app is also used alongside out Smartthings items, such as light bulbs, door locks/bells, etc. 

You can add your TV, washing machine and other appliances to the Smartthings app so it's all in one place. 

:womanhappy:

Say "hello!" and

Introduce Yourself, or virtually hangout in the Samsung Lounge

AT-Touren
First Poster
Options

I like and tried both of them I use the applications both one for private and the other in our company 

0 Likes
Collins9
First Poster
Options

I will love to know the difference between the two apps because I never knew Samsung has 2 different apps Samsung SmartHome app and SmartThings app

I am who am I am and I Love to be Who I am.
GinjewManor
First Poster
Options

I'm with you Collins9;  As far as I'm concerned, not one response to the original question was written with clarity. Further, that Samsung doesn't monitor this forum, or provide readily accessible answers to what should be a basic question in ones mind upon observing that there is more than one application available for rendering and utilization, adds to my growing unease with with regard to relying on Samsung as dependable.  I suspect that Samsung is loosing touch with their customer base which is chipping away at Good Will, the intangible asset with a relatively calculable monetary value, and are spending excessive  resources myopically zeroing in on the infamous bottom line; the line that many times is misleading due often to incomplete, and frequently times incongruent informational feeds, as to whether or not the viability of remaining a going-concern remains an prudent option or not.  It's a sad state of affairs. Well, moving on to orher areas of the WWW in my pursuit of a sufficient and logical answer to the question of, "What is the difference between the SmartThings app and permissions, compared to the seemingly older app called "Smart Home."

karolco
First Poster
Options

I would like to know too. I just add that the answer remains as one of the unanswered question in this universe.

0 Likes
Mthomp
First Poster
Options

I did a little exploring too.  According to the description on Google Play, Smartthings is the updated replacement for Smart Home and everyone should be migrating to that app as Smart Home is no longer being updated.  It was last updated in July whereas Smartthings was updated in December.  Smart Home will eventually fade away into oblivion.  

0 Likes
Barneygoogle
Journeyman
Options

I quite agree, Samsung seem to have lost the plot.

I have just purchased a SmartTag2 and thought I would read how to use it before switching it on. I tried the "Quick Start Guide" (80 pages!)- this only told me how to press the button and to change the battery (two pages - the rest was in other languages).  It then said I should download the manual from the Samsung site. The first link was a manual full of warnings about how not to use it. Then I found the proper manual - all 728 pages of it! Fortunately, the English version is only the  first 21 pages. I discovered I needed the "Smart Things" app. I already have the "Smart Switch" app on my phone. But Samsung does not make it clear what the difference is between these two apps. Must go . . . I have a lot of reading to do!

0 Likes