Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wimbledon 2018-Anyone For Tennis!

(Topic created on: 05-07-2018 04:25 PM)
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Wimbledon Starting tomorrow 2 July and so as we have the Lounge now, thought would set up thread for any  Fans.  Whilst there may be a buzz for the World Cup traditionally SW19  has been a big sporting event with fanatics too and some of us may  prefer the Tennis!    I have been a massive fan for many years and attended the Championships on several ocassions, though not for a few years with the lack of success on tickets.    Did queue  an odd time in younger days but not really for me now, did go to Queen's a few weeks ago though.   Anyway mind the first time I was on Centre and such a unique experience, mind a bit of an eerie silence just before the start of play, then the officials walk on court to some applause and then usually a great atmosphere when the players emerge.  can be good matches on outside courts though and if only have ground ticket may have time to see more of the place.

Suppose main talking point at moment is Andy Murray's withdrawal  (feeling not quite ready for best of 5)having said he was pumped the other day, however participation was never certain.  For me his win in 2013 following on from Us Open year before was just amazing!  2016 was more expected after Djokovic was upset and some great battles between these two over the years.   Whilst  doubt would have got far this year still a disappointment though understandable ,Kyle Edmund had some impressive result  this season but a bit inconsistent, is scheduled to meet Djokovic in 3rd Round (has win over him in Masters but here would be much tougher). Many seeing Federer as favourte as he opens centre court proceedings.    A lot of talk over 10th anniversary of Nadal getting better of him in rain delayed final, Rafa won 11th French recently but record not great here past few years, though draw seems reasonable for him and better weather may help.  Cilic and Djokovic would seem to have  reasobable shot, Zverev  has talent but yet to excel in slams.  Outsider Kygrios who does excite some though can flare up and focus can be challenge for him.   Serena back but some question marks over fitness even if tough on top form (Venus also can't be ruled out) , defending  champion Muguruza and Kvitova  have backing, Jo konta had good run last year but had limited success lately. French champ Halep good contender though grass not thought to best for her.

Anyway we'll see Fed,wozniacki, Dimitrov/Wawrinka on centre plus Slone Stephens, Raonic  v Brit Liam Broady and serena on Court 1.  Other notable one is  Monfils v Gasquet on court2.   See info on Wimbedon site

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

28 REPLIES 28
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Day 1

An update on the first day's play:  Federer  became the defence of his title and was not on court too long (79 mins)  dispatching Lajovic with the minimum of fuss.  However probably more of a talking point was his new clothing contract, having not renewed with Nike. He's now with Japanese brand  Uniqlo   (not exactly a name on everyone's tongue)   and will earn a bit of pocket money for the switch :smiling-face:     Reports claim the deal is worth $300 million over 10 years even if Roger hangs up his racquet  will before then  (as evergreen as he is surely he won't play that long!)      http:http://uk.businessinsider.com/roger-federer-nike-uniqlo-300-million-deal-2018-7//uk.businessins...      Serena was on court slightly longer for 2 sets, given bit of a test but never really in doubt against Arantxa Rus who is outside the top 100.   Meanwhile Cilic, Raonic (tight first with Brit Broady but only lost 1 game thereafter) , Querrey and Wozniaki pretty much cruised through.   Venus dropped first set but 2nd and 3rd very straightforward.

Now onto the upsets,  6th seed Dimitrov put out by 3 times Slam champ Stan Wawrinka who has struggled of late in the most compelling match I seen.  Didn't look that likely after first where Stan was crushed and Grigor looked strong but the Bulgarian has not had his best results of late and confidence not where it should be which is partly why this became a great contest.  Certainly Wwrinka's level improved and more consistent with  his big shots but Dimi's errors began to creep up.   Grigor had break in 3rd and seemed to be in ascendancy again  but Stan came back and won 2nd and 3rd breakers. Whilst would'be been good to see a decider didn't come as to too much of a surprise when Wawrinka took the match 6-4 in the 4th.  A few picks from the match here http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/galleries/2018-07-02/2018-07-02_shock_on_centre_wawrinka_over_di...       I happen to prefer Dimitrov but it was enjoyable match.   Stan's girlfriend  happened to have one of the other upsets as Donna Vekic outplayed 4th seed  Us Open Champion and French finalist Sloane Stephens 6-1, 6-3.    Being a Sloane fan this was a bit frustrating for me  but her results can be very mixed and she has not played a warm up event on grass, whilst Vekic had some of best results on surface.  the 5th seed Svitolina also went out 6-1 in the 3rd to German Tanjana Maria but is not particularly comfortable on surface.  

More minor upsets were 16th seed Coric going out to Medvedev (coric beat Federer in Hale final but  not great results on grass prior to that) and 23rd seed Gasquet who has been top tenner had tough draw with Gael Monifils and lost in 3 tight sets.   Drama on court 1 in quality lengthy contest as former finalist Radwanska just avoided casualty list saving 6 mp's to get better of Romanian Ruse.    Best Brit result was Katie Swan who had easy win over 36th ranked Begu,  Harriet Dart took set from 7th seed Karolina Pliskova but went down 6--1 in 3rd.   Unfortunately Cameron Norrie lost in 4 sets to former Brit Aljaz Bedene. Bedene had applied to play Davis Cup for GB but was turned down and now back to playing for Slovenia, whilst Cameron made first big mark at Davis Cup in Marbella and has win over Isner on clay.

Today sees Muguruza, Nadal and  Halep on Centre and Edmund, Kvitova and Djokovic on Court 1. Konta,Zverev, Thiem and Sharapova on court 2.    Just to let you know that the highliights on every day at 8.30 on BBC2, if you can't watch much live any particular day whilst Eurosport have a show at 10 PM.   Eurosport also have finals but that is only live action they wil be showing and take it will just be HD.  Anyway found the UHD HDR coverage on Iplayer to be impressive, only for centre mind you.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

AntS
Options

Unsurprised by Murray withdrawing. Kinda surprised me that he entered at all after having no competitive tennis for around a year.

The Fed is looking smoothly confident. (Is there any time he doesn't these days?)

Stephens clearly had one of her “off days”. Or she sent a clone.

Haven’t seen Sharapova since her return. Are her shrieks going to be just as loud?

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@AntS wrote:

Unsurprised by Murray withdrawing. Kinda surprised me that he entered at all after having no competitive tennis for around a year.

The Fed is looking smoothly confident. (Is there any time he doesn't these days?)

Stephens clearly had one of her “off days”. Or she sent a clone.

Haven’t seen Sharapova since her return. Are her shrieks going to be just as loud?

Well Andy just had 3 competitive matches at Queen's and Eastbourne, was always a doubt even if he wished to play.  Well Fed didn't look quite so fluid in Halle but was in classic mode at start of defence, even if opponent not comfortable.  Yeah Stephens  couldn't get going, Sharapova still as loud as ever.   Mind talk of Seles noise  years ago  (who was fan of) but doesn't seem to compare.

AntS
Options

Clearly, the Sharapova Shriek didn't put off Diatchenko. :robottongue:

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Day 2

More drama in another day of upsets,  21 seeds now out of both singles events.   Biggest surprise was probably the defeat of Petra Kvitova who some were tipping for title.  Was feeling unwell though also spoke of nerves but being bagelled in final set  was big shock, though Belarussian Sasnovich  was in the zone in the decider.   Suppose  I should mention that a bagel is a love set as everyone may not know,  the jargon for a 6-1 set is called a breadstick.   The French finalist Dominic Thiem retired against Marcos Baghdatis though was possibly on the way out anyway at 2 sets down (the Cypriot's nickname is Baggy and may be  the last time he makes an appearance here. A few other nicknames are Floppy for Lopez and Tipsy for Tipsaveric . He  had tight match for 3 sets with Murray in 2012 before Andy ran away with 4th) and 10th seed david Goffin also made an early exit.   

Perhaps not the biggest surprise but biggest name to fall so obviously is Maria Sharapova who lost a 3 hr 7 min battle to a Russain qualifier Diatchenko in the evening despite being up by a set and 5-2 at one point.  Actually was her first match on grass since 2015 but still a bit of an embarassing defeat. In women's event seeds4,5,6 and 8 all out.   Nadal, Djokovic, Edmund, Halep and Muguruza all went through with a minimum of fuss.   Nick Kygrios had a bit of a battle but got through in 4 sets.    Jo Konta made it tougher than needed(lost break in 2nd and TB tight but through in straights), Heather watson out in 2 to Flipkins but wasn't that surprised.  19 year old Jay Clarke who some consider to be GB prospect gave fairly impressive account but out in 5 to Gulbis.   Has been subject to some racial abuse on social media sadly but suppose not only one.

Anyway a few links here http://whttp://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2018/07/petra-kvitova-aliaksandra-sasnovich-wimbledon-2018-fi...          http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2018-07-03/diatchenko_knocks_out_sharapova.html      http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2018-07-04/2018-07-04_what_the_papers_say_day_3.html

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Day 3

A few good headlines for yesterday may be something along the lines of   "Flying Ants seed Doubt"     and " Raining on The Wimbledon Parade"        To give some backhround yesterday was Flying Ants  Day , usually it is July or August but hot weather can speed up the process and at times they can cause havoc at Wimbledon. This is when the ants take off from their colonies whilst not all ants are able to fly, the winged queens and males have been staying in their colonies until the perfect time to get out, spread and start reproducing. Flying ant day is the moment that happens.

Anyway 2nd seed Caroline Wozniacki crashed out to Makarova, though the Russian is a former top tenner who has beaten a few top players in slams (including Serena) in the past.  A bit of drama though as Makarova was 5-1 in the 3rd but a few nerves coupled with Wozniacki's fighting spirit nearly turned it around. However at 5-5 and Deuce the Russian managed to steady herself and broke again for the win.  Meanwhile having put out Dimitrov on the opening day  Stan Wawrinka struggled finding himself two sets down to  Italian Thomas Fabbiano ranked 133. Whilst a bit surprising Wawrinka has not found much from lately(another one who had surgery last year)  and is not at his best on grass.   Mind you he began to find better timing and range.  However just after teatime there was a shower which interrupted play and whilst they resumed soon the raindrops appeared again.   Stan will be coming back today at 5-6 down.  Cilic was cruising but somehow found himself down a break in the 3rd to Argentine Pella.     Federer was serene again in dispatching Lacko and some of his service games were very quick!   Meanwhile both Williams sisters through comfortably, Venus dropped 1st set for 2nd time but was untroubled thereafter.

Here's some clips from play, incliding some entertainment from Monfils.    https://https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/44718965www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/44718965    Much more on the Wombledon site of course  http://www.wimbledon.com/index.html

In action today Nadal, Konta and Edmund on Centre,Cilic, Halep, Del Potro ,Zverev on  Court 1.   Meanwhile court 2  sees  Osaka (who has now beaten Brit Katie Boulter in straights),Anderson (also to finish  with Seppi), Djokovic, Nishikori and Muguruza.  Maybe not all happen being there, the old court 2 used to be called  "The graveyard"     Should be more to enjoy :smiling-face:

AntS
Options

I remember Flying Ant Day in my town last year. They were everywhere.  *reflexive scratch*

On a less itchy note, I guess the Wimbledon menu consists of bagels, breadsticks, seeds, and of course:

Strawberries.jpg

SukhiKaur
Apprentice
Options
Loving Wimbledon!
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@AntS wrote:

I remember Flying Ant Day in my town last year. They were everywhere.  *reflexive scratch*

On a less itchy note, I guess the Wimbledon menu consists of bagels, breadsticks, seeds, and of course:

Strawberries.jpg

Indeed :smileyhappy:, haven't quite had that experience with Ants  :smiling-face: , Pimm's associated with Wimbledon too and plenty other drinks consumed (though at Olympics 2012 at AELTC  there was alternative to Pimm's  as they weren't a sponsor)

Average quantities consumed during championships (figures fom Wimbledon site)

"Wimbledon is the largest single annual sporting catering operation (3,000 staff) carried out in Europe. Average quantities of food and drink served at The Championships are below"

Bananas (players) 2,195kg
Champagne 21,917 bottles
Fish & Chips 17,170 portions
Ice creams 76,603
Pasta (players) 4,235 portions
Pimm’s 303,277 glasses
Sandwiches/baguettes 72,142
Scones 110,225
Strawberries & Cream 166,055 portions
Tea & Coffee 307,277 cups
- 117,507 pints of draught beer and lager
- 34,572 litres of milk
- 23,630 pizzas
- 2,198 afternoon tea hampers
- 9,848 litres of dairy cream

A few rules on bringing own food/drink:

"You are welcome to bring your own food and drink to Wimbledon, but please note hard-sided containers and items, such as picnic hampers/cool boxes, flasks and camping chairs are not allowed.

Visitors with special dietary requirements are advised to bring with them what they need to eat and drink throughout the day. However, a selection of gluten-free products are available across the Grounds. 

Alcohol

"Alcohol may be brought into the Grounds but is limited to the equivalent of one bottle of wine or Champagne (750ml) or two cans of beer (500ml) or two cans of premixed aperitifs per person. Bottles of spirits or fortified wines will not be allowed into the Grounds".

Think they still have the rule that Gentlemen are requested not to remove their shirts (even in the hottest of weather).