Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smartphone Performance/Stability

(Topic created on: 13-05-2023 12:39 AM)
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options

I have decided to write this post following issues I have had along with what others have experienced with the newer smartphones currently using an S23 Ultra 512gb. In order of priority I would say functionality wise, Wireless Connectivity, Phone and/or App Stability, Battery Life and Web functionality e.g dead links freezing etc. A range of issues affect different users in different ways so consistency across users is always going to vary due to the many factors that can play a role and rarely due to the actual device itself

I am primarily a PC geek and have built, upgraded and repaired more PCs than I care to remember and have a lot of experience writing code, building and using a variety of software over many years so I am not a stranger to Tech but when it comes to phones they are a different beast altogether mainly due to the micro size of components and the lack of easily interchangeable components. However phones are basically a miniturised hand held PC

Wireless Performance
I along with others have experienced many connectivity problems in all wireless functions whether it be Mobile signal, WiFi, Bluetooth or NFC etc. Which seem to come and go and are not predictable I e sometimes they work flawlessly yet others the phone refuses to connect or just drops its connection for no apparent reason. I have pondered on this many times as I tirelessly get frustrated and try to find a solution. I first thought it may be firmware or Network hardware or maybe the antenna. I would rank maintaining reliable connections as the most significant issue

I think I am able to rule out the antenna as when there are issues signal strength is usually fine and I go to a caravan regularly in an area with virtually no phone masts nearby but my phone manages to connect much better than other devices such as 4g routers (with external antenna) or other phones etc

Re Firmware or Network chip etc I think they have a role to play in issues more so the firmware. This is with badly written firmware or badly written or misbehaving apps which can cause crashes and other unexpected or unusual behaviour due to conflicts

Phone/App Stability
This can include unexpected restarts sudden glitches e.g flickering screen and unusual behaviour, dead links, Connectivity Loss, Phone re-optimising/repairing apps and other as hoc errors

I think it's easy to blame hardware problems but due to the way the errors occur I think it's more related to firmware and software issues and also something I have not been considering is apps behaviour i.e background activity the stuff you don't know is going on in the background. I think the app developers as well as software developers write their apps to maximise the benefits to the owners, the worst offenders being the free stuff where their income is generated by gathering meta data and selling ads etc.

I have noticed in some games etc the app takes control of functions in your phone such as disabling functions like your ability to close an ad, filling your screen and blocking access to other buttons to try to force you to watch the full ad. This type of behaviour is bound to cause issues from time to time i.e cause unexpected conflicts with the phones firmware or other apps that rely on or try to control functions that have been disabled by another app etc

Also and more significantly, background activity e.g data gathering, monitoring user behaviour and files etc or more precisely monitoring and gathering meta data that can be sold or used to sell you stuff etc as the app developers may not have taken thorough account of what the firmware is doing and firmware developers may not account for everything the apps are doing so clashes and crashes will not be unusual and will not usually be deu to the app or the firmware or even the hardware but more due to what happens when they are running certain functions at the same time i.e there may be nothing wrong with the app, firmware or hardware but issue can happen when the work together

I would rate the worst offenders as being social media apps and free ad driven games and apps. For example when I last checked my battery usage thie highest usage was Instagram but I very rarely open the app but it still uses a lot of data and power in the background

Battery Usage
I think there are many obvious things that influence battery life such as screen brightness, poor network signal and notifications etc but I think a lot of power gets used by things that are happening in the background some which you can control and some which you can't.

I also noticed a change in battery life, phone glitches and unusual behaviour when apps have updated in the background, usually system apps as other apps generally only get updated manually by the user

So in summary, I think we often blame the phone or device and I do accept that any device has limitations. but mostly it is not the actual device that is responsible for errors and glitches etc.

I think the elephant in the room is app behaviour and background activity which I believe are the culprits for the majority of problems. This is because they are all developed by a wide variety of developers which makes it very difficult for everyone developing firmware and software to account for everyone else's code and styles etc and can explain why updates can often fix some issues but cause new issues and of course why it can take so long to get to a point where everything runs smoothly. Usually perfection is obtained right around the time your ready to upgrade 😁

Solution
I think the solution would be for the Hardware, Firmware, Software, App developers to establish a closer working relationship, establishing common conventions and best practice. However I think this is wishful thinking as individual and corporate interests will prevent this from happening for obvious reasons i.e there will be a lot of info and practices etc that can't be shared

Those are just some of my thoughts, hope you find them interesting but feel free to correct me or share your experience or theories 

7 REPLIES 7
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I don't experience any of those issues and have the exact same device.

I don't use social media but know the battery drain is not just a Samsung problem. It is up to the app developers to resolve this which is something they haven't done.
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
Thank you for your comments. Yes indeed many don't experience any issues at all and many do. I think it is all dependant on individual use and a variety of factors so it will never be the same for everyone. I don't think I said battery drain only affects Samsung's but I do agree battery drain is a challenge on any device. I think apps and app behaviour is definitely the source of a lot of and probably most problems but app developers alone won't solve the problem. Samsung and other manufacturers have to develop hardware, apps and firmware that can cope with 3rd party apps and 3rd party app developers have to develop apps that can run on various device manufacturers platforms so it is an ongoing battle hence why we have so many updates on an ongoing basis to deal with the bugs, glitches and security issues and of course the odd improvements.
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Hi no you didn't state it was only Samsung that has the problem with battery drain.

The problem lies with the app developers in a lot of instances and they are the only ones that can tweak the apps as it's their intellectual property. They just seem to be satisfied if the app works and not about battery life. It's not that they can't get Android devices to ensure the apps are more efficient but they don't seem to care. If people continue to use those poorly compiled apps there's no reason to tweak them.

The problem with Android is there are different versions and many manufacturers with a long list of model variations unlik the iPhone.

I don't know how you would get something like Facebook to even think about this but, yes, it's not satisfactory.
LMay
Navigator
Options
I'm having similar irritating problems with WiFi and cellular on my s23 ultra. The lag is terrible and I'm constantly having to close ,open and turn phone on and off to get connected.
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
Thank you for your comments. Yes it is irritating when connectivity begins to play up. I find when it works, it works flawlessly but when it decides to start playing up it can be a real pain. It has improved a lot in the S23 but there are still as hoc connectivity issues that seem to kick off for no apparent reason. My suspicion is it could be around a lot of the auto connect and background services etc that get overwhelmed or just freeze causing connections to drop
LMay
Navigator
Options
There's too many S23 Ultra owners reporting the same problem for Samsung to ignore, they need an update very soon.
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
Yes it does need sorting out. If it's any consolation my son had the same issue with his iPhone 14 Pro with his WIFI so he had to restart his phone so It isn't restricted to Samsungs