Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smartphone Efficiency (Battery + Storage Saving Tips) Discussion

(Topic created on: 24-07-2021 09:24 PM)
LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
Hey guys, thought I'd share a list of tips I use when setting up a Galaxy device, so that I get maximum battery efficiency and a longer lasting phone!

- Dark mode. Everything (if you have an AMOLED device, which I assume is every Samsung Galaxy). If your galaxy device doesn't have night mode as an option, use a plain black wallpaper, in conjunction with a dark theme, from Galaxy Themes. If you don't want to use Themes, then change your keyboard to dark, in language & input settings as well. Then, try changing each setting of every app you use to dark mode😀.
- Uninstall apps/services you don't use. If you can't uninstall the app, disable it. If you can't disable it, uninstall any updates and if possible, go to the play store/galaxy store and turn off auto-update for that app. The less you can possibly have as apps/running services on the phone, the better! In addition, use QuickStar from the Good Lock app to help with your dark mode adventures.
- Use Samsung SmartSwitch and Samsung Cloud. Then, you will have no need to use Google Drive Backup option, as that is pretty much the same as Samsung Cloud. When restoring data on a device, use SmartSwitch if possible, as that has better recovery. If not, use Samsung Cloud.
- It is okay to have a lightweight case, as this has no/very minimal effect on battery.
- Restart the device once a week.
- Clear phone cache after an update.
- The less gestures you use on the device (palm swipe for screenshot, adaptive brightness, etc.), the better it is on battery life. So, turn off the ones you don't use and you will see a big improvement😉.
- Use Blue Light Filter all the time, if possible.
- Keep brightness on at 70%, as less changing of it, the better. Just a setting, where it is not too bright, but not too dim.
- Turn off sounds/touch vibrations in settings for things such as typing on the keyboard and in the phone app, if possible.
- If your device has a Bixby button and you don't want to use it, disable it/clear data/ force stop/turn off auto-update + uninstall updates/turn off everything ALL Bixby related services and apps. Then, use Bxactions on the Play Store and you can remap the button, to open and do anything you want! 😎

Please share any tips you have to elaborate, any thoughts/queries you would like to share or any tips that I may have missed😎.
5 REPLIES 5
APARMAR
Troubleshooter
Options
Thanks for the tips, but I have already been using all of these tips with my Galaxy S20 Plus (Exynos) since I got it in August 2020 and the battery still sucks really badly. I use 96hz refresh rate and less than 50% brightness with power saving mode on 24/7 and it makes absolutely no difference. Battery life is basically the same as my Galaxy S7 that I upgraded from in August 2020 that has about 1200 charge cycles. Absolutely horrible chipset in one of the most beautiful phones of 2020 (in my opinion). I have also tried the 60hz at FHD+ for a week and no difference was made to the battery life. I am so disappointed in Samsung.
LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
If all the tips didn't work, then definitely suggest getting your hands on a Snapdragon variant for the S20 Plus, as there have been published results showcasing a wide margin of improvement in speed & performance between the Snapdragon and Exynos model. But, with S21, they are so close that the difference is really negligible 😎.
0 Likes
APARMAR
Troubleshooter
Options
I mean, I have had the phone for 11 months and its been ok I guess but I would have returned it straightaway if I knew how bad battery life would be but it was ok for the first couple of months but by the time the battery life started getting bad, it was past the return period 😞
0 Likes
APARMAR
Troubleshooter
Options
I wouldn't import it as I have heard it will not work with VoLTE/VoWIFI, it wouldn't allow for Samsung Pay to be used and it would not be covered by warranty as it wasn't from the UK. So I think I will just stick with this S20 Plus and when I get a new phone, I will do detailed research on it before buying it so that I don't make the same mistake that I did with my S20 Plus.
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I have the S21 Ultra and have dark mode but generally have everything on either adaptive or auto .
I bought an expensive smart phone and let it do its job 🙃.

So I am rocking wqhd with 120htz and 5g.
Yeah I'm in phone heaven and loving it.
0 Likes