Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Glass- New Streaming Service

(Topic created on: 13-10-2021 05:34 PM)
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Some information on Sky's new   internet based  system , there is no satellite dish involved.   However  it requires subscribing to or purchasing Sky's new Glass Tv  which incorporates everything  and 6 inbuilt speakers, so may eliminate the need for a Sound Bar.  Additional Tv's can be connected  for multi viewing via Streaming  Pucks  but these are not  available  (at least not initially ) without the new Tv.   Available in 43,55 and 65 inches with subscription for the base model at £13 per month , £17 for the 55 and £21 for the 65.  (packages to be added of course)   with the Tv paid off over 4 years (though can pay it in 2 if desired) It is actually slighter more expensive to but the Tv's outright  (though not much in it)  

Skyq is still available though question of whether it would be maintained long term if the new model is a success.  However on inspection  it is not the most innovative technology and so there could be problems attracting more discerning customers who may well have superior Tv's and sound equipment .   Though maybe down the line the streaming pucks will be  available separately for use with the customer's own choice of technology.   I have had Sky for quite a while, personally I will be sticking with Skyq.    

Anyway some analysis here and information from Sky's site :  https://www.wired.co.uk/article/sky-glass https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/sky-glass     https://www.sky.com/glass/sky-inside?irct=glassHome-glass-section3 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

10 REPLIES 10
PaulStone
Voyager
Options
What's this got to do with samsung products?
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@PaulStone  It is not directly related to Samsung products, however some of  use Sky Q on Samsung  Tv's.   Anyway it is permissible  to talk about Tv services and  general entertainment in the Lounge.  There have been previous discussions on SkyQ HDR and Tv shows on the various services.   Just in case  some members  have a particular view on this , though obviously not everyone will be interested.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

AntS
Options

@PaulStone, Well, I guess you could say that Sky Glass is now a competitor of Samsung’s in the TV market, and what they're doing with their thing could be worth having a natter about in relation to what we're doing (or could do) with our thing. 😉

But JAMES4578 is right - the Lounge on here doesn't have to be about Samsung stuff.

AntS
Options

It’s an... interesting move by Sky. Not really something for me though, despite being a long-term Sky customer. When it comes to TV/AV equipment, personally, I look more at the hardware spec of something and what I can plug into it; and am wary about paying large spondulicks for something that might be a bit more limited.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@AntS I agree, though of heard of some customers who wish a Glass TV as a secondary device and will use the streaming pucks on their main set. Sky does not allow a mix of SkyQ and Sky Glass. It may also appeal to customers without any satellite or cable service. The pucks support 4k unlike the mini Boxes with SkyQ.

As is it norm it is not possible to transfer recordings over to the new system. In Sky Glass customers do not record as such  (there is no hard drive)  but add shows to a playlist with everything stored in the cloud. 1000 hours is the maximum storage per customer and automatically deleted after 12 months (though some things may still be available on Demand.

One snag is I have heard customers with discounts on SkyQ would be unlikely to be able to carry them over, though HD is included as standard.  It will be 31 day  rolling contracts.

0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
The concept is interesting but I would never subscribe to Sky Glass personally. I'm quite happy with Freesat and the freedom to use equipment I already own. Also cloud is useless if the internet goes down whereas a local PVR would be fine
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@antikythera Yes you are stuck if the internet goes down,  apparently there will be a Freeview backup (as long as you have an aerial) but that will be more limited.   https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/sky-glass-skys-new-dish-free-wi-fi-tv-launches 

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

An update on Sky Glass, reviews have been mixed but fair to say it has not been  the best of launches.   First the  ordering process was perceived to be a bit chaotic. Online ordering started on 18 October  but was not available to everyone, long standing customers  (8 years plus) were given priority though had to wait for the email . That might seem fair enough  but from reports  there  were inconsistencies on receipt and was not publicised before hand.   Links were also shared before that route shut down.  However seemed it was different if ordering from the small number of stores or kiosks which popped up in some places.

Anyway as far as the product goes  there have been bugs with reports of crashes and the pucks  (for secondary tv's)   not working properly.    The Tv's hardware and sound quality generally appears to be well enough rated though.   However issues not universal and some customers  happy with it and as always complainers may well be more likely to share their views.  

However the UI not   been widely praised  and some not happy that the system is app based, when searching for programmes on the playlist the default is to take the customer direct to an app if one is available.   Cloud recordings only seems to take place when this is not the case , mostly sky channels and the 1000 hours per customer has been removed from website.  searching  will  include some apps a customer may not be subscribed to, a customer wanted a programme from National Geographical but this was only available from Disney Plus and there was no  NG on Demand  version.   Some customers also think some of the apps are not the best quality, ITV  player mentioned a fair bit.    As far as the channels available currently around around 140  (but could change in the future though there was information beforehand and the generally the more popular ones.    A limited number of news and international channels,club football channels and old movie channels not there for instance.   oh and there are no shopping  or Adult channels.

Some of this may well be improved with software updates but some of it is to do with rights, so will need to see on that count.   However personally I think if you have Sky already and are relatively happy  you should hold off for now,new systems tend to have some teething problems though.

0 Likes
TriMan1955
First Poster
Options

I visited here because I searched "can I download the Sky Glass App for my Samsung TV"?

Or is there another way, such as downloading it to a Firestick device and insert it to the USB Port?

0 Likes