Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scams and Spoof calling

(Topic created on: 18-04-2021 09:25 PM)
Mitzzz999
Hotshot
Options
This post isn't really anything to do with Samsung but I think it's good awareness for everyone. Today I received a call from my "bank"... I looked at the screen and sure enough... its states the bank name and it even looks like the real bank number.

I answered it and let the guy do his talking, stating I've got pending transactions going to Amazon and JD Sports. I was defensive from the start and let him know if that is the case then I will ring the bank directly myself to check this activity. He was reluctant to let me go and kept referring to what his number was AND what the caller ID shows for him.

Anyway I've had scammers call in the past and straight away it was easy to tell just by the number that it was fake but this looked quite legit. 

After speaking to the bank fraud advisors they said some scammers are using Spoofing software where they can literally ring you with the bank's real contact number. In the end if this happens to you just politely say you will contact the bank yourself to confirm the whole situation.

Just be very careful and wary of who calls you and stay safe guys.
7 REPLIES 7
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Don't engage with these people at all, just put the phone down.
Biz
Journeyman
Options
Wow, havent experience that issue yet. Is the incoming call (automatically writen as the bank name) ???. I personally never take phone call from unknown number, except when i know i have deliveries coming.
Mitzzz999
Hotshot
Options
Hopefully you won't experience it at all. The incoming call came up with the bank's customer service number with the bank name above. They are using some sort of software to make the caller number to whatever they want/need... its the same for SMS as well. I'm glad I've made one person, at least, aware of this issue.
PaulyWauly36
Pathfinder
Options
Install HIYA from playstore
0 Likes
Steven9761
Troubleshooter
Options
NEVER, EVER use the device they have called you on to phone your bank to verify the call is genuine. ALWAYS use a separate device, or your landline. These scammers are able to hold your line open while you think you are calling your bank, and they then pretend that you are dealing with your bank.
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
They tried it on with my Mother on Friday, she was told by them she'd gone overdrawn in an account with Barclays who she has no account with.
0 Likes
Batfox
Explorer
Options
I have these 📞calls. Most of the time I just put the phone down . But sometimes I may get 3 to 5 of these calls 📞. And I lose my rag and really tell them what I think of them .