Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Recycle - is this a scam?

(Topic created on: 10-11-2022 04:00 PM)
Aloy
Apprentice
Options

I sent my Note 20 Ultra to samsung recycle who offered £315 before sending it, after a few days they emailed me back and re-quoted me offering £100 instead stating "Device Faulty - Back cover is lifted." . The photo holding the phone is the photo they sent to me in the e-mail, the other 2 photos are photos I took of the phone before I sent it to them (these are the best 2 angles I took  that show the area they took a photo of), there was definitely no lifted back cover when I sent it and the photos show the seams are  uniform, if there was a lifted back over, these lines would not be uniform. I also notice there is what looks like  a slight dent on the camera bump in the photo they sent me, but my phone does not have this dent. So I am wondering if that is even my phone. I declined their offer and the phone is being returned, but still seems like something fishy is going on here. As my phone was in near perfect condition, nowhere near "faulty" I even sent it in the original packaging, and all bubble wrapped.

I also found out that this company is MTR group, not actual samsung, and they have very poor reviews on trust pilot, a lot of reviewers seem like they were scammed or lied to.  I contacted samsung recycle by email they just tell me the device may have been damaged in transit. Which seems highly unlikely, especially with a back cover just lifting. That would need to be forcibly pulled surely.

I am done with speaking to samsung recycle directly, Is there anywhere else I can take this matter? Maybe trading standards? 

20221024_114927.jpg20221024_114856_crop.jpgSamsungRecycle.jpg

13 REPLIES 13
DaL4zy1
Voyager
Options
That is terrible! I really hope they don't scam people like this! The company should be closed down.
However I have had similar experiences not with Samsung recycle but with the UK postal service but then I noticed that one time when a parcel was being delivered to me that they do not take care of your parcels and constantly drop and shove them in places where they don't fit. This is almost certainly what happened with your phone. I'm afraid that that is the postal service for you.
chrismattamy
Pathfinder
Options
They done the same to myself and my daughter, you send them a perfect device, and they say its damaged. Its a total scam
Aloy
Apprentice
Options

I highly doubt it, it was sent back in its original samsung box, which is very hard and sturdy , and that was wrapped in bubble wrap. Would take a lot of extreme force to crush it.

KevP79
Voyager
Options
MTR are a joke, I'm sure they're some people who have no issues and swear by trade ins, My experience however means I will never trade in again.

Make sure your IMEI number matches when your device is returned.

Best of luck
IndiW
Hotshot
Options
This is really really sad...

This is why respect Apple, you can walk in to a Apple shop and in front of your face you can get your item valued.. And walk out with a new item.. Simple
Katsudonvince
Pathfinder
Options
I traded in my Samsung Note 10+ 5G for S22U through recycling program. I don't know if the service was handled by MTR company, but I have no issues with my trade-in.
DaL4zy1
Voyager
Options
I agree no-one that I know of has had trouble with a apple
DaL4zy1
Voyager
Options
Yes but they probably put it in with some heavy parcels and can't be bothered to lift them so they just shove it anywhere
0 Likes
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
MTR are crooks, before you send anything take a video and some good screen close ups, be prepared to be fleeced.
Regards Obsydian - (Car & Tech Evangelist)

MY DEVICES: ZFold4, Watch6 Classic, Book2 Pro i5 5G [Laptop], Buds Pro2, M70A 32 & 43”; [Monitor], Smart Tags, Dell Inspiron G5 [Laptop] / FAMILY DEVICES: ZFlip3, ZFlip4, ZFlip5, Watch6 Classic, S8 Ultra; S7+ [Tablet],  Buds Pro, iPhone 12, iPad Air 2, Air tags, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9 GEN2 [Tablets] / HOME DEVICES: QN95A [TV], Q900A / SWA900S [Soundbar, Rears], MC28M6075 and MC32K7055 [Microwave], Jet 75 Complete (Vacuum), Samsung Level [Speaker]