Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QLED 8K Q900R and Q950 TV tread (software/firmware updates, One Connect Box swap, HDMI 2.1, etc.)

(Topic created on: 04-11-2020 06:43 PM)
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

Hello everyone,

I have a QLED 8K Q900RA TV, bought in October 2019 (from Komplett.no - a shop in Norway), and got a new One Connect Box replacement to fix the lack of HDMI 2.1 (only in port 4) in May 2020 (shipped free of charge, after having to wait a few months). I got a free Galaxy S10E 128GB phone (no longer valid), plus 10 years burn-in screen guarantee (had to register online right after purchase).

As far as I know, there are three different models: Q900RA (2018), Q900RB (2019) and Q950R (2019) - all three came in different screen sizes.

Special mentioning of the HDMI 2.1 port upgrade promise of the Q900RA (2018) on its product page:

Skjermbilde 2020-11-04 kl. 18.50.57.pngReference: https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/qledtv-q900r/

RTings review: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q900-q900r-8k-qled

Update download: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/QE75Q900RATXXU/

The purpose of this tread is to keep track of problems and solutions our TV might have/get, One Connect Box swap, software- and firmware updates, etc.

Known problems (updated 12th. February 2020):

- The One Connect Box of the Q900RA (2018 models) lacks the HDMI 2.1 port - despite a complementary upgrade to HDMI 2.1 was promised in their presentation of Q900RA on the Samsung website, it was supposed to be fixed by the One Connect Box swap (contact Samsung), note the HDMI 2.1 was only in port 4. Later it turns out that the HDMI 2.1 port even on the new One Connect Box we got swap is still not HDMI 2.1. Despite countless attempts to get a propper answer from Samsung, they are still not transparent about what kind of a port is actually installed, but it is confirmed that it is not a HDMI 2.1 port. The 2019 models should have a proper HDMI 2.1 (no OCB swap needed).
- Lack of eARC
- Lack of AV1 codec (needed for YouTube 8K compressed play)
- Problems with the YouTube app on the TV when running 1440 and 4K videos (on the TV's web browser 4K on YouTube works flawlessly !) Even 1080p videos are often defaulting to 360p. 

64 REPLIES 64
Gazhayes
Journeyman
Options

08CFD686-F673-4B4B-B523-8A6D275B31D2.jpeg

PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

Thank you @Gazhayes for the scanned leaflet.

0 Likes
Benjhey39
Journeyman
Options

Yes Peter you are correct , my box finally arrived after only 3 weeks but after reading the recent posts I decided to try my ocb from my q950t , everything works as it should but sill only outputs 4K at 60hz where as tq950t supports 120hz so it is the tv and not the box

Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

Yeah, just as I thought. Those overpromising picks!

Edit: pricks! 🙄😁

bearnar
Student
Options

Hi guys! Another Norwegian Q900RA owner tricked into buying this TV from Samsung due to their false promisses of it being future proof..

PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

@bearnar it is good to hear from you - but sorry you are in the same situation that many of us are. Can you send me your contact information on PM (I have sent you a PM message you can respond to) ?

0 Likes
bearnar
Student
Options

Contact initiated

0 Likes
Adamantium
First Poster
Options

I do not have a 900, but I do have a 950R and am based in the uk. I wrote a letter to Samsung UK/Europe CEO due to my frustration and received an email back confirming that for the 950R at least, the firmware update to provide eARC is expected in May.

it was made expressly clear that this only applies to the 950R.

0 Likes
Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

Q950R in Europe is the same as Q900RB in the US, just named differently.

Good to hear you got some positive news, although I keep my hopes low since they have said this exact same thing before. Last time one was in contact with Samsung and they said this update would come in March so... But thanks for the info and let's hope for the best. 

0 Likes
Adamantium
First Poster
Options

Fair enough although I'm not sure how high up the info came from last time.

If it helps, this was the email.

Dear XXX,

I am contacting in response to your e-mail which has been passed to our office for review and response.

We apologise that the promised availability of e-ARC has taken an extended period.

This has been an on-going discussion and review with our HQ Team but can advise that over the past 24 hours we have received a notification from them that this is in the final stages of development with the expectation that this will be released via a TV OTN update in May.

We hope that this will provide some re-assurance, and moreover positive news, for you.

Regards

Sean Archer

Presidential Escalations Team Manager| UK & Eire

Samsung Electronics

t: +44 (0)330 726 3932

www.samsung.com

Office Opening Hours – Monday to Friday 9am to 5.30pm

0 Likes