Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New User Saying Hi 😊

(Topic created on: 06-12-2020 09:29 AM)
Cuchillo
Journeyman
Options
Hello all, am a decade long iOS user that has jumped ship. Got myself an Ultra. Its my first Samsung ever and my first Android in about 10 years!

Thought I'd pop in, say "Hi", and also say that I maybe asking a lot of (stupid) questions soon! 😅

TTFN

Cuch. 
8 REPLIES 8
HPJr
Explorer
Options
Sup?! Welcome to the community, out of curiosity which would you prefer the widgets on IOS or Android
Mitzzz999
Hotshot
Options
hi and welcome. if youre patient and curious you will love android. I've seen long standing iOS users move over and claim they're struggling and want to move back to iOS yet its only been a day. I would say use all tools available for you to learn and customise your phone. youtube is a great source if you use it right and find the best channels. friends and family members that use android and Samsung are another go to place too.

I've tried iOS on 2 or 3 separate occasions as a 2nd phone and personally I found them too limited.
Cuchillo
Journeyman
Options

Hi HPJr,

Thanks for the welcome 🙂

I *think* I prefer the Android Widgets, but that may be because my iPhone was the X and I felt that the screen was not big enough to hold both a couple of widgets and my most used apps all on the one screen.

So far I have been able to have the two widgets I need most plus the apps I use daily on the one screen on the Note. Having the side slide in (cannot remember what its called now! 😮 ) helps.

Cuchillo
Journeyman
Options

Hi Mitz,

Thank you for the welcome 🙂

The first few days was very hard for me. Wondered how big a mistake I had made! 😂

It was mostly around the battery life. The first day of setup I had to charge the Note TWICE, from almost flat. Freaked me out a lot! Did not remember ever having that issue with the iPhone whenever I upgraded it. Of course once I had completed the setup and allowed the phone to "settle in", the original battery anxiety significantly reduced. Its not gone though.

It then occurred to me that the reason why the iPhone did not show the same battery issues was because I was *upgrading* it and not setting it up from new. New phone, old backup, stick it on the charger while it was doing that and get about my day. With the Note it was a whole new world and setup, so using up the battery should have been expected! :grinning-face-with-one-large-and-one-small-eye:

However I do feel that the battery does drain faster when the Note is being used than on the old X. 🤔

The wife is deeply buried in the Apple ecosystem so she got herself the 12 Pro Max. These days when we get back from work my 1st question is no longer "How was your day?" but "How much battery do you have left?" 😅

I am happy to report that over the past 10 odd days the Note has constantly had 7% more battery left than her phone. 🤣

On the other hand, to balance it out, I feel that Apple's Email, Reminders and Notifications/Badges are better than either Google's  (GMail, Keep) or Samsung's (EMail, Reminders) equivalent offerings. Of course it could be that (to paraphrase Apple) "I am using it wrong" 😄

TTFN.

Cuch.

BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Welcome to the Dark Side @Cuchillo 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

Blessed4life
Black Belt 
Options
Welcome aboard.
Mitzzz999
Hotshot
Options
yeah when you get these phones new out the box its important to stick it on the WiFi straight away and get all your updates out of the way. There possibly could be a phone software update available plus default apps need updating too.

As you go through the phone carefully... especially the settings part, you will find ways to make your battery life last longer, screen brightness and timeout length contribute but as you search through different places you will find tips and tricks to get the best setup for you.

whenever anyone asks the question "what is best? Apple or Samsung... Apple or Android... I always say its what suits your needs best but give it more time and see how you go.

I got a feeling you will find the phone fine judging by your message.
SjorsK
Maestro
Options

Welcome to the community! ^-^ I hope that you will love your new phone - a galaxy of possibilities has opened up to you ^-^ 

And yeah, with some tweaks you can easily optimise your battery usage to your wishes. The customisability is one of the best things of Samsung phones ^-^