Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mental Health in children

(Topic created on: 17-12-2019 09:12 PM)
BuchyZee
First Poster
Options

Today, we have noticed increase with mental health problems with children. It is very important to always talk children to know what they are thinking because nowadays due to advances in technology, children have access to all sorts of information and how each child processes these myriad of information defers fron child to child. Computer games also need to be monitored, news also need to be sensored because children percieve and process information differently. Before you gey caught up in such crisis with your children you need to intercede and intercept their thoughts and explain confusing info before you child developes irreversible psychiatric problems. 

7 REPLIES 7
AntS
Options

It's certainly a very different world today to when I was growing up. In many, many ways I'm grateful for the loving, attentative upbringing I had. Along with a firm sense of self, I learnt critical thinking; and to perhaps have a healthier relationship with technology, i.e. able to push the 'off' button on machines, and enjoy the people and places I'm present with at that time (or melt away into something like a book).

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Certainly it is a different world, however whilst technology has some risks for children and there is a need for monitoring undoubted advantages if used  appropriately .   Mind you getting the right balance can be an issue.  Families need to be aware but too much censorship in older children   likely to breed mistrust and cause other problems.  (though this will obviously differ on age group)  Connecting outside of your immediate circle overall is  a plus  and there are new ways for learning/ entertaining  young people.   I think modern technology can be  a benefit for those with certain disabiilities or communication issues. 

Studies have shown mixed evidence regarding Mental Health.

https://qz.com/1699489/experts-disagree-on-the-effects-of-technology-on-children/ 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

SjorsK
Maestro
Options

Without technology I would probably have committed suicide :face-with-rolling-eyes: It was my way to escape from reality when life was extremely harsh (I was bullied a lot and there where other circumstances I prefer to not put publicly :winking-face: ). Please note that my usage was not healthy at all but it was at the very least a distraction and allowed me to develop the skillset I have now :smiling-face:

Everything tool has its benefits and downsides, in the end its up to how you use these tools. Personally I prefer to see the positive side of things :smiling-face:

How strange as it might seen, technology probably saved my life and allowed me to restore my mental health while I wouldn't have a chance otherwise.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Thanks @SjorsK  for your contribution.   Sorry to hear you faced so much trouble in your younger years   but certainly in your case technology was advantageous in overcoming challenges.   It very much does depend  on how you use the tools and some escapism is no bad thing.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

AntS
Options

Doesn’t sound strange to me, SjorsK. I think that immersion into something – whether it’s a book, tech, art, sport, or something else – can often be a refuge from many of life’s storms. Like you say, often it’s more how you use that. (Although, using narcotics/alcohol/joining a gang as a refuge probably doesn't have many positives...)

You do hear very sad stories of those who are being bullied where tech and social media serve as a way of making that abuse all-pervasive and relentless. I think back to my own struggles when I was a teen, and doubt I could've coped with not being able to shut the door on any of it. Thankfully, tech, forums and social media have only had a positive impact on me (so far at least).

SjorsK
Maestro
Options
Yeah, the amount I used it was definitely not health. But it was better than the alternative refuges - Besides! I run a business now and got a stable job in a sector that was non-existent back in the day :smiling-face: Life has been great to me and I can use my past experiences to assist others that have a hard time :smiling-face:

When you realize how life is when it's horrible - and you can get a small taste of "good times" - It will be more likely that you will develop yourself to previously unobtainable heights. For example 12 years ago the expectation for me was more or less "Secluded, living from wellfare, high risk for criminality/jail" :winking-face: Not a pretty future to look at.

My life in the end turned with 180 degrees around, I defied all the expectation my family (and the medical professionals) had for me. Samsung's motto might be DoWhatYouCan't but somehow I have been living by that standards for years, and every boundry I defy motivates me to defy the next one.

Moral of the story: Change a few circumstances in anyone's life (Remove bullies) and give some minor opportunities (apprenticeship at a caring organization, which is my current employer) and people can really make a 180. Its better to re-mediate the source of the issue than the refuge. :smiling-face: Motivation (and risk taking) is however a key factor in there :winking-face:

Most people don't tell their darker pasts online, yet I believe that this story can (hopefully!) inspire others :smiling-face:
Paulie24
Samsung Helper
Options
Really inspiring to share your story, loving the fact you shared. Have a fantastic day.