Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Lack of sd card slots in new models.

(Topic created on: 04-11-2023 08:14 AM)
Bryanr1972
Apprentice
Options
Anyone else avoiding upgrading since losing the sd card slot in new smart phones?
In my opinion it seems a blatant push to use cloud storage, which eventually incurs further costs for more cloud space. Plus, you need to use more data for accessing everything on the go, pushing us consumers into requiring a bigger (more costly) data package. I'm keen to know what are others thoughts on this? I own an S20fe as it's probably the last phone to have the sd slot.

7 REPLIES 7
WinstonSmith
Pathfinder
Options
The micro SD card slot was a great feature,
the same as the headphone jack.
But Samsung is going to support them just in its low-end phones.
As far as I know,
the only two well-known manufacturers with the micro SD card slot and the headphone jack with their flagships are Sony and Asus.
The second one I've recommended to my friend instead of Samsung,
because he wanted them in the better phone instead of the low-end,
or a midranger.
PlantPot
Pioneer
Options
I miss the SD slot and headphone jack too. But I've come to accept it as the way the industry has moved. It seems to me to be driven by what the majority of phone buyers care about rather than any push by the makers and carriers to squeeze extra money. Taking them out gives more room inside the phone to fit a bigger battery for example. In the end, as much as I miss them I prefer my s23+ with more battery than a headphone jack. I use an USB converter when I want better sound than BT.
Bryanr1972
Apprentice
Options
Agree in so far as I don't miss the headphone jack as I prefer to use BT earpods. Its the SD card slot that is my major concern. Most phones are dual sim and as the micro sd cards are the same profile I don't see any other reason why they'd remove that functionality. Other than to push towards buying a bigger internal memory phone, or using more cloud based storage solutions?
0 Likes
PlantPot
Pioneer
Options
Ultimately the sim cards are going completely. Again this will save space inside the phone. I the US apple dropped the sim card holder from since the iPhone 14. The rest of the world was not considered ready. But the day will come. I already moved to eSim so don't need the holder. I'm also only using a tiny fraction of the minimum 256G flash that my phone has. I'll never need cluloud storage. So it's different for everyone. I used to use an SD card for 64G phones say but I don't need one now. I do prefer wired headphones as BT sound is awful.
danjuls
Journeyman
Options

Yep, I still have my S20+ with SD card, and don't plan on upgrading until I find one with an SD slot. I may have to go with ASUS.

I haven't found a valid argument for removing it. The S20+ is about same size as S23 with a larger battery and SD slot. They keep increasing camera resoultion and allow high resoltuion video recording, but take away the ability to store that large amount of data. Others say it is due to cost, but the cheaper "A" series still have SD card capabilities, if it was a cost issue one would assume they would cut it in the economy phones first. Before I upgraded from my S10 to the S20+ I was looking at ASUS, guess Samsung with the lack of SD slot will make my decision to switch much easier.

Bryanr1972
Apprentice
Options
I'm of the same mind, it may be, after many years I look beyond Samsungs new phone offerings. Get the product from a manufacturer that offers me what I actually want to buy with an SD card slot.
0 Likes
Bryanr1972
Apprentice
Options
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/whatsapp-users-warned-itll-cost-28380975 and so it begins 🤷‍♂️ the Whatsapp backup change and price for google cloud storage. Now the real lack of sd card slots begins to ring true.