Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kubuntu - A perfect companion for Android devices

(Topic created on: 25-07-2021 11:11 PM)
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
I use Linux, predominantly KDE Desktop which is where Kubuntu comes in as an easy introduction for people wanting to try the Linux ecosystem out for themselves.

Familiarity is pretty much a given as Microsoft ripped off the KDE Desktop environment in entirety (a desktop environment is what appears on your screen when you start the PC)

The reason I'm bringing it up on here is the fact it is excellent for Android devices and supports them over USB, Bluetooth or Wireless. Wireless connectivity is provided by KDE Connect. KDE Connect is like "Your Phone" from Windows but works fully with ANY Android device (not just Samsung flagships) and gives two way remote device control, file transfer, file sharing, SMS messaging from your PC, notifications off the device in your PC too (which you can also reply too directly if they are messages) among other things.

Check it out, you have nothing to lose. All you need is a spare 4GB USB stick and an open mind. It will run "Live" from the USB stick without touching your existing operating system or files so it's perfectly safe to see if you like it and if it runs okay on your machine. I'd stick with the LTS version of Kubuntu which is currently 20.04.2 LTS.

Their website is well laid out and gives a decent enough instructions about how to download the operating system and create the bootable USB stick so I won't repeat them here. Bon voyage!

3 REPLIES 3
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
This looks up my street. Thanks.
0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Think would be worth a try, @antikythera  in your opinion is there a benefit with KDE Connect for  flagships?

Members can have a look here https://kubuntu.org/feature-tour/ 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
No benefit specifically for flagships because it doesn't care what the phone or tablet is. All functions are available on any Android device which is the beauty of KDE Connect. So owners of A or J series devices from Samsung get exactly the same treatment unlike with Microsoft's Your Phone. Thanks for posting the link, I didn't because I wasn't sure it was allowed here.