cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inspirational tech story - Mihika Sharma's Smart Stick

(Topic created on: 14-07-2019 04:56 AM)
AntS
Options

You know, one of the great things about working in the online area for Samsung is that you get to know about all sorts of tech-related - but very human - stories. Stories that perhaps don’t always get the amount of light shone on them that they deserve. For example, a kind soul inboxed our UK Facebook with this story yesterday about Mihika and her determination to make a Smart Stick to help blind, partially-sighted and deaf people walk safely and independently: https://www.tech4goodawards.com/finalist/mihika-sharma-smart-stick/

Amongst other cool stuff, the Stick uses GPS (via a Bluetooth connection to a smartphone) to help generate different motorised vibrations in the Stick for easy, intuitive navigation to a destination. Also helping to generate those vibrations are ultrasonic sensors to detect obstacles, and a water sensor at the tip to detect puddles. Potential for a camera using AI to be easily integrated too.

Oh, and it's made by 3D printing. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

Tech4GoodAwards also tweeted about Mihika here: https://twitter.com/Tech4GoodAwards/status/1145703814529523713

Love to hear stories like this. Dunno about you, but I think that Mihika’s story and work there is genuinely touching, inspirational, ingenious, and well, just downright awesome. :white-medium-star::thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

In a place and time where we tend to take technology for granted, it’s easy to forget how lucky some of us truly are, and how advances in technology can make such a real difference to someone’s everyday life. Plus, the source and inspiration for those advances come can from all sorts of places and experiences.

(BTW, just adding that this post is my personal opinion.)

11 REPLIES 11
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@AntS   Certainly good to hear, an inspirational and fabulous  story creating feel good moments!  Great to see technology being used to help people with dificulties in life.

Sometimes we hear negative stories in the media but there are many positive uses of technology.  Whilst for many of us technology improves our lives , saves time and is convienient generally not  so much life changing.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Great story!

SjorsK
Maestro
Options

I love it to see how tech enables people, one of my primary tasks at work is to train my clients to use the tech we provide and advise them. It’s great to see people evolve quickly from someone scared from tech to someone that is able to properly use it ^-^

Tech used to be my escape from reality when I was young, currently it is so much more. Instead of being depended on it I effectively use it to enable myself and others. :smiling-face:

One of the things I did that I do not regret is setting up a learning platform. Best, hobby project, ever :smiling-face: But I won't link it here because no shameless self-promotion :smiling-face:

Fun fact.... From games I went into Forums (When I was 10 I guess?) and got over time some leadership (Guilds, clans, whatever 😛 ) of certain online communities around games, to interest into technology which effectively resulted me into landing an education in IT and whenever I thought I was done with school, I got a job at a Uni (And I'm 29 right now). And because of that old hobby I'm also on the Samsung Community. Funny to see how things develop :smiling-face: Thinking of it... This hobby also helped me with learning how to write code and interested me into setting up a learning platform.

19 years of forums and communities and its indirect results, has been a life changing experience, that's for sure :smiling-face:

RpBP
Mastermind
Options

Here there is much or little to talk about depending on how you look at it. Good internal theme, but as Inspirational tech story, what is not?

0 Likes
RpBP
Mastermind
Options

Greeting @

0 Likes
AntS
Options

Just following this up to say that Mihika won the category she was nominated for:

https://www.tech4goodawards.com/2019/congratulations-to-this-years-winners/

Congratulations and well done, Mihika!! :white-medium-star::electric-light-bulb::smiling-face-with-sunglasses::thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Good news, congrats Mihika!!:smiling-face:     Well done to all the other winners too- I will mention MeeTwo  a mental health app which is sponsored by Samsung, Digit Music sponsored by Microsoft,  Tech4Good sponsored by Comic Relief and Safe  and Found Online.  :ok-hand:

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

SjorsK
Maestro
Options
Congratulations :face-with-tears-of-joy: Well deserved :smiling-face:
RpBP
Mastermind
Options

A few years ago, in the university, I wrote about neural sense and implant of detectors in eyes, it's a interesting word and the future medic while you don't touch or you increment brain habilities or over potencial skills no naturals. That is a very different theme.

0 Likes