Can we stop AI outsmarting humanity?

(Topic created on: 23-03-2020 06:27 PM)
AntS
Options
7 REPLIES 7
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@AntS  Interesting article, certainly AI can be a powerful tool to enhance our lives but obviously risks that  we safeguard against-debate if we can totally over come this.    At the moment though would seem someway off with advanced development not a reality , time to study and evaluate impacts.

Caught my attention that Estonia has plans for an AI judge to settle small claims, a tech solution of sorts for simplier cases though willl need to see how this works in practice and could still be some ethics issues.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-47555567/ai-judge-to-settle-small-claims-disputes-and-other...

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/03/can-ai-be-a-fair-judge-in-court-estonia-thinks-so/

Bit of a shameless plug :shocked-face-with-exploding-head::smiling-face:  put a few more things on my AI thread recently  https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Cameras-IT-Everything-Else/Artificial-Intelligence-AI/td-p/72834...

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

RpBP
Mastermind
Options

Good, for my time newlest, I prefere one article your with a summary of news Mr.Ants 😘

0 Likes
SjorsK
Maestro
Options
Mhmmm, I firmly believe that between now and 20 years there will be an AI that is able to make independent decisions, think by itself, is capable of having an own personality and develop itself (Including its own computing abilities).

This could go two ways and I don't know what way it will go. Lets say that you give an AI that is completely independent the order to produce potatoes as efficient as possible it could effectively develop nanites virusses that deploy a poison all at once and kill humanity before we know it. Simply because we take space for potential potato fields farms and that is simply a shame by that logic.

On the other hand we could have some kind of AI that would assist us in our life, some kind of Oracle that develops whatever we wish and give advice whenever we need it. Or an "Overlord" that manages everything in our own interest :winking-face:

Once we reach the level of AI that develops itself that is its own entity it will also be able to develop a system to upload the contents of our "Brains" into the system, effectively allowing us to become AI's ourselves.

...The strangest thing is that I fully believe that this can be done in 50 years time (If not less. I'm more thinking about 20/30 year at most).

We live in exciting yet scary times. Either the current generation that is alive will make humanity go extinct or bring us technology we could never imagine before, and our lives could be far better off thanks to that :smiling-face:

Only time will learn what way it will go.
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

I've said similar things before (more in my AI thread)   but would hope things will not end up detrimental , could be that it will not be a Utopia or disaster but whilst there will be challenges AI can  improve our lives in certain regards.   of course we do need to get the ethics sorted out and decide where the boundaries will be.  In the longer term though  obviously could be temptations and Androids may be much more prevelent, we may not know the dangers of some  technological developments as they progress and unscrupulous players  can try and take advantage.

Interesting article here on  different avenues for AI takeover      Becominghuman.ai/six-avenues-for-an-ai-takeover-of-the-world 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
John4Oh
Helping Hand
Options

No we can't stop AI outsmarting humanity @AntS because we all know what happens at Skynet, and at present an Atari is smarter than Boris Johnson! :grinning-face-with-one-large-and-one-small-eye:

nickk4
First Poster
Options

I believe in a distant future AI can become smart enough to outsmart us, but for now some AI algorithms might found it difficult to differ cookies from small dogs :smiling-face: (this is a reference to a funny photo that probably each of us has seen). But at the same time the trend of using AI in different industries became more popular and productive. Even healthcare industry already benefiting from AI technology.

NeoMatrix
First Poster
Options

Humans are always afraid of robots being smarter. Right now there are billion of billions pieces of text written by robots in the Internet, this article https://becominghuman.ai/artificial-intelligence-technology-trends-that-matter-for-business-d1b5194d... says "GPT-3 can generate 4.5 billion words per day".