Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful Samsung buying user experience

(Topic created on: 10-02-2023 01:45 PM)
Aeroadster
Journeyman
Options
Bought the S23 Ultra on the Samsung site immediately after its launch. I chose a new contract with Three mobile which meant I was redirected to the A1Comms site who trade under a different name.

I entered my PAC code at the point of order.

Was told the phone would arrive by 13th Feb, and was surprised it arrived a few days later with a Three SIM. So far so good.

However SIM failed Activation. Contacted Three mobile who referred me to A1Comms after 20minutes of investigation. The phone number was wrong.

Googled A1Comms, and called them. They didn't recognise the order number or dispatch number. After 25minutes, they found my details and told me I shouldn't have received my mobile and SIM card so soon as the SIM cards were not yet registered for activation. 

I asked if I could use my existing EE SIM as it would be 3 days before my SIM was registered. 

Three days later, (today) I called A1Comms who put me through to Samsung, which sounded like an overseas call centre.

20minutes later, they said they'd contacted A1Comms to activate my SIM.

They apologised for the delay and said it might be an hour before the SIM awakens.

I'm still waiting.

This is 2023. Am I being too impatient or are my expectations of buying a premium modern phone just too high.

It was faster and slicker buying my first Nokia mobile over 20 years ago.
9 REPLIES 9
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Well the problem is really with the third party that are dealing with the contract.
It's unfortunate that you have had this problem.
Yes Samsung have been shipping out phones much earlier than expected. A good thing in my eyes as I think mines arrived today.
I guess the admin side of things with the SIM contracts is not ready.
If after a day, the sim hasn't activated.
I'd first try powering down the phone. Wait a few moments and power it back up.
Sometimes although activated, it will need a restart to get the SIM to work.
No idea why, but it's something I've been asked to do many times.
Failing this, I can only think that another call to the SIM provider, and getting an update.

Really hope you get this sorted soon and finally get to enjoy your new phone
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
It's seems to me that the reason Three referred you to A1comms is because they are the resellers.

not Samsung or Three issue. Reseller typically have access to activate sims even though the network isnt theirs.

Aeroadster
Journeyman
Options
@Glenntech, I get your point, but having developed customer journeys for companies far smaller and less profitable than Samsung, they need to get their act together.

Schoolboy errors in processing orders and poor communications isn't great for the image of a prestigious brand.

Pushing customers from pillar to post costs businesses more money, on top of inconveniencing the customer.

Shows a lack of mature process management and contingency planning. It's not as if B2B e-commerce is a new concept.
Paulf1
Voyager
Options
What's the difference between buying the phone from 3uk directly rather than through the samsung website 🤔..
0 Likes
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
If you buy from a. Reseller, you contract is with them. You cant talk to Three for help, you usually go through third party and they go to Three. If you get directly from Three, you are their customer and you can shout at them as much as you like 🤣
0 Likes
Aeroadster
Journeyman
Options
In this case, buying the phone directly with Samsung meant I got an offer of unlimited data, texts and calls cheaper than buying the phone from Three, O2, Vodafone, and weirdly...it was also cheaper than going via A1Comms normal retailer front end called buy mobiles.net.

Samsungs offer worked out at £49 or £48 per month. The best retail offer was £17 more per month.
0 Likes
Aeroadster
Journeyman
Options
The interesting thing is that my wife bought the same phone, at the same time I bought mine.

It arrived yesterday from A1comms, but she received an email late last night which had a link to the 3 website. It was headed with Samsungs branding but it was clear that A1Comms sent it.

This link allowed her to access a different part of Three's website, where it recognised her new SIM card as a Legacy number , and it redirected her and allowed her to both activate her SIM and port her number. It happened very quickly.

I came home and just discovered this.

I just called Three to check my wife's account and support arrangements and they confirmed that they alone are responsible for the contract, not the reseller.

So I've tried the same approach. Neither Samsung or A1Comms customer teams have a clue about this.

Just awful service.
0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
That's 3 not Samsungs failing.
0 Likes
Aeroadster
Journeyman
Options
Naa, the point is, Samsung have appointed a channel seller to manage this on their behalf. Samsung define the acceptable quality of service they are prepared to offer and if they set the bar too low then they are accountable.

Samsung have written to me and apologised for their shoddiness and lack of preparation. There's a lot of people in the same mess whether they opted for an O2, Vodafone or 3 SIM. It's indefensible. I've accepted their apology. Just gotta wait another week for them to sort the backlog of problems.
0 Likes