Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Factory reset?

(Topic created on: 24-09-2022 10:14 AM)
redsunset2022
Voyager
Options
I'd like to ask the beta community if they plan to do a factory reset once they've installed the stable version of Android13/OneUI is released?  I'm sure it would take a bit of effort and I wondered if it's even worth it.

When I used to work on Windows PCs, a clean install often went better than an in-place upgrade. It was a sure way to clean out all the temp files and reset the registry etc, but I don't know if it's equivalent with Android.

Would welcome your thoughts. Thanks.
0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
Richmar83
Helping Hand
Options
I've never done a full reset when going from Beta to Stable releases. All I do, and do the same after any software update, is run cleaner over all app caches' and clear the system cache in bootloader menu.
theoracle
Pathfinder
Options
When Android 13 is official, and we're off the betas, I will do a full reset after making sure all my content is backed up. I have done this with every Samsung phone I've owned previously.
redsunset2022
Voyager
Options
Thanks for your comments. I'll probably just wipe the cache for starters.
0 Likes
Juli3n
Hotshot
Options
Wiping the cache partition at least but I personally prefer also doing a factory reset, and not using smartSwitch or whatever to get all the data back - I'm starting from scratch.
MagdalenaPo
Beta Moderator
Beta Moderator
Options

Hello @redsunset2022 ,

It may be that clearing cache partition through the Recovery mode will be sufficient in this situation. 🙂

I'll leave the instructions for future reference:

1. Turn off your device 
  2. Connect your device to the PC via USB (not to the charger) 
  3. Wait until the message that the device is being charged appears 
  4. Press and hold down the volume up and then power buttons and hold them until the device turns on 
  5. Recovery menu should appear 
  6. from there select "Wipe cache partition" (you can navigate using volume up/down buttons and confirm with a power button).
Options
Partitioning on android doesn't work the same way as on a pc.

Having said that, I do know what you mean, so you could, but it won't make such a difference like it does in windows.

You only have to go to app store, uninstall, and reinstall to get a clean install
If I helped or solved your problem, please like or tick solved.

Have been using phones since 1993, and am self taught.

I offer advice for free, cos I think it'll help, if it doesn't, explain why, I might learn something new too.

Current phone Galaxy S22 Ultra
Previous phones: most S series, Note 2, Samsung Alpha, iPhone 3gs, far too many Nokia's!
redsunset2022
Voyager
Options
Thanks for your comments. Good to be able to learn from the community. 👍

@MagdalenaPo. Regarding Step2, is this only a requirement for the beta stage? I'm sure with previous Androids, I've not had to connect it to a USB to enter the recovery mode.
P.S. Pleased to report you can also connect to a PlayStation via USB to achieve the same result if you don't have a PC. 🙂
0 Likes