Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depth of field is important in photography!

(Topic created on: 29-11-2022 08:31 PM)
Cassidy007
Samsung Members Star ★★★
Options

I am working on this article right now and like this is a translation, some errors can be found so let me the time to detect them and put a better traduction.

Guêpe = Wasp in english

If you like this article, do not hesitate to click on LIKE because it encourages me to continue and it costs nothing. Thanks !

Good reading

What is depth of field? The depth of field is determined by the opening of the diaphragm of your camera and this is what allows you to have a clear photo over a greater or lesser distance in front of and behind the subject. We see the openings that your device has in Pro mode as in this screenshot. (F:1.5 and F:2.4 are 2 different apertures). How lucky are those who have been able to afford the latest S21 and S22Ultra and who have an aperture of F:4.9 allowing them to have a better depth of field...!!!

Cassidy007_0-1669753499806.jpeg

On my Note10+, I'm lucky to have 2 apertures but no 10X zoom, nor F:4.9 aperture like what you can find with the Ultra model... It still allows me to have a greater depth of field as minimal as it is- her, she saves me sometimes for the sharpness of a subject.

It should be great if it was possible to choose the aperture on the new S23*'s devices because everywhere we read that the S23* will completely change the way we make photographies on a smartphone. It is supposed to be a photogaphy's revolution and i wish that it's true!

In the following image, I show you how depth of field is important if you want the image to be sharp from front to back and I also explain why some people don't understand the blur of their subject. The closer you are to the item you want to photograph, the less depth of field there will be.

Cassidy007_1-1669753499816.jpeg

Take this diagram that I made for you to illustrate the photos that follow.

If I take the photo in 10X zoom (or not) at an aperture of f:2.4 and F:1.8 on my 1X lens of the S22, I shorten the sharpness of the wasp that I will take in front photo and that is valid for all  existing lenses with an aperture of F:1.8. On the following photo, it was completely impossible for me to have a clear wasp from the front to the back because of this too large opening. I wish I had had an S22 Ultra on hand when I took this photo to have the F:4.9 aperture that would have allowed me to take the photo I wanted. (BUT, I am still proud of this photo which is my favorite photo)

Cassidy007_0-1669761709648.jpeg

Note that the further away your subject is, the less depth of field and aperture will matter. For example, if my subject is at 15cm, I may have a depth of field of 2cm which means that the subject will be sharp from 15 to 17cm. more or less. The standard says that the depth of field is  1/3 in front of the subject and 2/3 behind where  you will have focused.  If the subject is 15 meters away and you have zoomed in, the subject will be in focus at a greater distance. Knowing this rule and you want a successful portrait of your sweetheart, remember to ask the person to stand in a place where there will be no elements directly behind and nothing in the 2/3 distance behind either. her and you will take a great photo with a beautiful Bokeh. Look at this photo of birds taken with a high capacity zoom lens. (On the ULTRA models, the 30X zoom should allow for a superb Bokeh being a powerful zoom. In addition, you can play with the depth of field once the photo is taken LUCKY !!! )

Photo taken with a semi-professional camera and a powerful zoom. The green behind the branches is actually the other branches of the tree but since they are not on the same plane they become BLURRED and this blur is called Bokeh. This is what we see on the photo of the wasp/fly or  "Eristale gluante ".

Cassidy007_3-1669753499876.jpeg

If you looked closely, the bird at the bottom right of the photo was outside the depth of field compared to the focus that had been made on the heads of the 2 other birds.

Let's take the third photo. The whole body of the critter is at equal distance from the camera which allowed to have a clear photo of it. at F:1.8 as shown in the diagram. This is the ideal pose for a successful photo of this kind as long as the focus is well done.

Cassidy007_0-1669761820041.jpeg

If I want to have the maximum sharpness on the wasp (flower, object etc) I must take the photo of the wasp  or  "Eristale sticky "  when it is on the side OR I will have to get a device such as the S22Ultra which has a aperture of F: 4.9 which would allow me to take the wasp  or  "Slimy Eristales "  from the front and that it is clear over the entire length of it.

Basically, the smaller the F number, the less depth of field I have and the bigger the F number, the more depth of field I will have.If you take a picture in the PORTRAIT Mode, you will have the chance to play with the BLUR (Bokeh) until you're satisfied.

So to sum up, it is best to take the picture of a bee, wasp, flower etc when the whole body of the bug or the petals of the flower are at equal distance from the camera which allows you to have a depth of field large enough to take this type of photo like my butterfly (As shown in the diagram with the aperture F:1.8 or F:2.4 if you use the 10X zoom and/or the 3X lens.)

Cassidy007_0-1669758129321.jpeg

Since the butterfly body is on a plane parallel to my camera and the zoom was done right in the middle of the wing, I knew the picture would look good (but didn't expect to have that much detail).

I challenge you to try to make a photo like the butterfly on your devices WITHOUT using any other external lens than your device. Don't cheat and show me what you can do! 

N.B. Except for the birds, all other pictures were done on my Samsung Galaxy S22 in Macro-mode 10X hybrid zoom. 

Vous aimez la photographie ? Si OUI, cliquez ici : https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/parlons-photographie/bd-p/photo-club-forum-fr
You like photography , if YES, Click here : https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/photography-talk/bd-p/photo-club-forum-uk
0 REPLIES 0