SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7 major issues

(Topic created on: 07-06-2022 03:26 PM)
Tantalord
Apprentice
Options

Hi,
I am an owner of a 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 and it has many major issues like

1) Flickering when Adaptive Sync on
2) Horizontal scanlines on blue-orange wallpapers and especially in this site my monitor is full with scanlines https://rog.asus.com/wallpapers/
3) Screen turning on and off when HDR on.
4) 10bit color cannot be enabled instead of 8bit because screen turns on/off periodically
5) When a second source is connected screen turns on/off periodically

As i have seen in some technological forums and youtube hardware reviews sites(Australian HARDWARE UNBOXED is one) its a manufacturing problem and this model is faulty for many other users/buyers. Check reddit here https://www.reddit.com/search/?q=samsung%20g7%20issues . There is a latest firmware update that could fix only flickering but does not in all situations. I have tried another 30€ 4k premium cable with no help. It is not of course also a problem with my graphics card as i have a 3060ti and i use 2 monitors and also a 3rd to check it. The other 2 work flawlessly with the graphic card.

Please can you confirm these issues officialy from your technicians as i have a faulty model and wish some resolution with it.Apparently there is a lot of hype with these flaws all over the internet with this model series.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
You could try contacting support
https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/contact/
Explaining your issue
0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Hi, if you have another monitor hooked up to HDMI alongside your Displayport connected monitors it can cause flickering with G-Sync monitors. I get it with my Dell G-Sync panel but usually only on load screens, when the game level is loaded the flickering stops. I don't see it any other time nor do I get random disconnects. It's kind of a known issue for G-Sync but you should report this to NVIDIA via their forum anyway as they are trying to resolve it still as best they can.

There is another potential cause for your signal loss though. Your GPU may need more power than the PSU is able to deliver. What model PSU do you have? Also make sure you use two different PCI-E wires if the card has more than one 8-pin connection, never daisy chain the same wire to both even though it may have a secondary connection on it.
0 Likes
Tantalord
Apprentice
Options

No i do not have another HDMI connected but when i connect a second source the problem is not flickering but its turning on/off occasionally in a short period of time repeatedly. The same problem when turning 10bit color on and HDR on which is not normal.

I have an 700W EVGA PSU with 2 pins-wires connected and with power usage i do not go above 200W when playing games that loads the usage. Yes i know GPU have power spikes and need a powerful PSU. The thing is i have disconnected the monitor and numerous other problems including scanlines does not appear on the other monitor.

With so many reports on poor Quality Control of the product i am skeptical and at some point sure its G7 series manufacturing problem. Flickering was not fixed for me with the latest firmware update and its a 550€ purchase which I expect a refund from SAMSUNG Greece as day-to-day they will pick the monitor up for validating the issues.

Tantalord
Apprentice
Options

After investigating more on the the matter i found an ongoing lawsuit from a law firm in America accepting actions against Samsung on the G7 flickering issues.

https://chimicles.com/samsung-g7-monitor-flickering-class-action-investigation/

This is major issue on an ongoing selling poduct as for other models like the G9.
A more in-depth review on Samsung Quality Control on monitors on this link by Hardware Unboxed, a youtube reviewers channel with 850k members

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T7pogOgS_M&t=1s

1:20 to 4:20 on the G7 buts its worth viewing all the video

ghiga_andrei
Student
Options

I purchased a G7 this week. I found the same problems you are describing and found them intolerable, especially the scanlines. When the scanlines appeared, also an annoying buzzing sound came out from the panel. It is completely unacceptable that Samsung knows about this systematic problem that affects all units and does nothing to fix it. The lawsuit is exactly what it deserves. I returned the G7 the next day. Will never buy a Samsung monitor ever again.

SquareOne14
Pioneer
Options

Ya their monitors slowly break over time (1-3 years) with their latest models, the issues are widespread and they are doing their best to avoid taking responsibility for it. i used to love Samsung too

0 Likes
Members_4ExNAxj
First Poster
Options

Hi. I don't know if you (or someone else) managed to solve this problem but after trying everything that I could find online as possible fixes, I think that I might have found something of a fix (it has been working with no issues for 4 days on my G7). So, the only thing I did differently was change the global setting in the NVIDIA control panel for VSYNC and manually set it to variable. Please let me know if anyone tries this and works as well. Cheers!

0 Likes
ghiga_andrei
Student
Options

I returned the monitor the next day.

0 Likes