Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xcover 4 firmware change

(Topic created on: 07-05-2022 12:26 PM)
matt105
Student
Options

Hi everyone.  I have a Samsung Xcover 4 SM-G390W. I believe  it came from Canada although unlocked and unbranded. The firmware does not allow bluetooth tethering. Would UK SM-390F firmware be compatible? I have been unable to find any info on hardware and any differences between the W and F models. Thanks for anyones help.

3 REPLIES 3
Flintstone
Voyager
Options
I would not do it, I don't think they are compatible, normally the letter after the phone code identifies the region code of the hardware. different regios have different frequency s for the phone to use (that is why some phones that work fine in Canada, won't work in Europe and vv) tethering is sometimes blocked by the carrier / simcard. does wifi tethering work?
0 Likes
matt105
Student
Options

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay. WiFi tethering works but bluetooth tethering is greyed out, probably to keep the networks happy. Traffic on tomtoms only works by Bluetooth which is why I wanted to get it going. I thought the more modern phones were triband so network frequency might be OK. However I like the phone and don't want to kill it so I might hold on as you suggest. Thanks for the reply.

0 Likes
Flintstone
Voyager
Options
strange, if wifi tethering works. Bluetooth tethering should work as well ( in my opinion) in UK carriers also may not ban tethering , is Bluetooth working normally with other devices? maybe you should keep those other devices out of reach and then only connect Bluetooth to the Tom Tom gps.
0 Likes