Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Why do samsung look down on s7 edge users?

(Topic created on: 28-08-2020 04:01 PM)
Josep72
Apprentice
Options

Hi

Straight to the point guys, I'm using  s7 edge and it's still looking great. As everybody knows,  Times are hard now and  I can't afford a new phone. My s7 edge is getting slow and hard to use. Why samsung doesn't offer an upgrade to latest Android updates for devices like s7 edge and s6? What's the point of having a nearly new phone but useless just because samsung decided to not upgrade these devices? What do people who can't afford a new device like me suppose to do ? Samsung are really cruel .

8 REPLIES 8
millerman
Voyager
Options
Most phones get only 2 security updates. My wife has the S7 Edge and its superb. she updates the apps as and when. the phone is fast and seamless.
Solution
AndrewL
Options

@Josep72: Sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the available updates for your Galaxy S7 Edge. The latest available software for your device is Android 8, and sadly it is not scheduled to receive any further updates due to limitations in the phones hardware. If you're finding that the phone is running a bit slow, then attempt the steps below in an effort to improve the performance of the device.

- Close down all apps when not in use via the Recent apps button

- Go to Settings > Device Care > Optimise, then select Memory > Clean Now.

- Make sure to reset your phone every 24-48 hours to refresh the device. You can also press the Volume Down and Power buttons together for around 10 seconds until the device restarts to perform a Soft Reset. 

- Backup the device via Smart Switch on your home computer, or via Settings > Cloud and Accounts > Samsung Cloud, then remove any non-essential personal data from the device to free up some memory. For Smart Switch, please download Smart Switch via the link below by clicking on 'How do I get Smart Switch on my PC or Mac' and selecting the relevant version: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-backup-my-smartphone-to-my-pc-or-mac/

Once downloaded, open Smart Switch, connect your phone via USB cable, select the Backup tab, and follow the on screen prompts. 

0 Likes
Josep72
Apprentice
Options
it's fast and smooth if you're using it for calling and texting... it's a flagship phone and even typing on google search page is a hardship... imagine the rest. I did a reset, got rid of most of the apps, used safe mode...stuck with android 8 is unfair.
0 Likes
Josep72
Apprentice
Options
thanks for the reply, I think smartphones are a joke and a rip off.
0 Likes
Simonsays1969
Journeyman
Options
yes all android phones give mostly 2 years of updates though recently Samsung announced 3 years. I kept my s7 edge as back up as still mint condition. there are tricks to clean up phone by using greenify style apps and clearing cache etc. delete os disable non use apps.. use online versions of Facebook YouTube etc.
0 Likes
Josep72
Apprentice
Options
thanks guys, everything in my home is of samsung, but no more, 11 years of trouble is enough... phones,smart watches,fridge-freezer, tvs..etc... time for change. much appreciated
0 Likes
Qwerty7
Helping Hand
Options
If you want and have the knowledge you can install a custom ROM. recently I installed a custom ROM on my a3 2016, brought it from a laggy mess on andorid 7 to a very smooth device running stock andorid 10.
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

I'd advise against installing unauthorised third party custom ROMs on your devices, as this will void your warranty, and can lead to compatibility and performance issues.