Support

Open search

What can i delete to free memory

Highlighted
SOLVED
Apprentice

My J5 is constantly out of memory.  How do i move things to the memory card to free up space on mobile. J5 is using nearly half of my 8gb just to run the phone.  I have moved everything i can to my external card but it is still not enough. Help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Pathfinder

Not all phones allow the movement of apps from the internal memory to the Sd Card. 

You can see if a phone allows this by going into the phones settings where the apps are and it usually lets you move location from there. If the settings to allow this are not there then the feature is not available. 

Those that do only allow certain apps to be moved which do not typically include the main apps that were on the phone out of the box. 

To clear up more space I'd suggest...

Delete...

Old text conversations. 

Music.

Videos. 

Notes in notes app.

Old Calendar entries. 

Pictutes. 

Emails and attachments. 

Internet Bookmarks. 

Old wallpapers. 

Voice memos. 

Unused or rarely used apps. 

Clear Apps Cache. 

Clear System Cache. 

Unfortunatley as your aware a chunk of your internal memory is used by the Os with some Also probably gated off for future software updates. When I'm discussing phones with people I try to advise to go for the biggest memory your pocket can afford. 8gb minus the Os taken part does not leave a lot to use and usually ends up with a person having to micro manage the space they have. 

My Current Phone > Samsung Galaxy s7 edge SM-G935F. {XEU}

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Pathfinder

Not all phones allow the movement of apps from the internal memory to the Sd Card. 

You can see if a phone allows this by going into the phones settings where the apps are and it usually lets you move location from there. If the settings to allow this are not there then the feature is not available. 

Those that do only allow certain apps to be moved which do not typically include the main apps that were on the phone out of the box. 

To clear up more space I'd suggest...

Delete...

Old text conversations. 

Music.

Videos. 

Notes in notes app.

Old Calendar entries. 

Pictutes. 

Emails and attachments. 

Internet Bookmarks. 

Old wallpapers. 

Voice memos. 

Unused or rarely used apps. 

Clear Apps Cache. 

Clear System Cache. 

Unfortunatley as your aware a chunk of your internal memory is used by the Os with some Also probably gated off for future software updates. When I'm discussing phones with people I try to advise to go for the biggest memory your pocket can afford. 8gb minus the Os taken part does not leave a lot to use and usually ends up with a person having to micro manage the space they have. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Apprentice

Hi, thank you for the reply. Had i known half the 8gb memory would be already in use i would have bought the 16gb.  I assumed getting an 8gb with a large memory card would be ok.  HOW WRONG COULD I BE.

as below..

Old text conversations. . ...done

Music...only got 6 songs

Videos. none

Notes in notes app.do not use

Old Calendar entries. never used 

Pictutes ...moved to card

Emails and attachments. ...do not have emails

Internet Bookmarks. will look

Old wallpapers. never added any

Voice memos....never had

Unused or rarely used apps. . ...done

Clear Apps Cache. ..done

Clear System Cache. ...done

Highlighted
Pathfinder

UYou're welcome. 

I first became aware of the indicated internal memory not being fully open to user usage when I first purchased a 16gb iPhone 4 many moons ago. 

I haven't got my s7 retail box to hand but I'm sure it had an * next to the gb internal amount with a sub note saying dependant on size of Os or something similar to that. 

E3464BA8-02C6-4E45-95F7-449881EA8753-6092-0000051EE473D913_tmp.png

Highlighted
Apprentice
deleted bookmarks a plenty (not noticed them building up) ...this was the last thing i can do. Thanks for your help.
Highlighted
Pathfinder
You're Welcome.
Top Liked Authors