Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ways to get Android 9.0 on S8

(Topic created on: 18-07-2021 02:50 PM)
LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
Hey,

I'm trying to get 9.0 on my S8, as I didn't get this OTA. I'm using a SM-G950FD (Exynos), so gonna follow tutorials related to this. SmartSwitch isn't working either, so I'm going off of YouTube Videos and Forums. Please let me know how you got this, or how to get this. Thanks!😀

N.B. My build number (Oreo version) ends in CRH1, not CRL3 as suggested by the 2nd tutorial to have, before updating to Pie. Yet the 1st tutorial had SM-G950FD and build no. CRLB, and it worked fine for him! I'm not sure, whether I should flash my firmware to CRL3 and then, download the update.zip file in recovery mode, or just go straight into downloading the update.zip file?

P.S. Are there any common downsides anyone have experienced when upgrading to 9.0 on S8 SM-G950FD? I hope it is all flawless :D.
11 REPLIES 11
LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

I would be using Odin to update but it's against forum rules to discuss.

LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
Oh, I didn't know that... hmm... could we discuss this topic on a different platform like whatsapp? I'm actually worried my post will get taken down lol.
0 Likes
LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
The 1st tutorial says that using an SD card is so much easier than using Odin to install the update.zip file and it results in the same outcome in the end :D.
0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
No your post doesn't stretch any limits. The last thing Samsung want to see is how to dos on this forum. You'll get people messing up their phones, voiding their warranties etc. It only takes an incorrect software version to be installed and you have an expensive paperweight. It would be a PR disaster for Samsung so there is no way they would condone this.

If you want to know more about the topic, take a look at xda developers.
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
I'm curious as to why your phone hasn't updated to android 9. Mine is the S8+ model SM-G955F however it updated to android 9 on 7 May. It is from Three.
0 Likes
LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
So... I did it! I followed another tutorial by the channel listed as the 1st option via ODIN mode in order to get 9.0 on SM-G950FD :P. Yessssss.
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Congrats and good luck to you.
LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
Thanks! So far, loving the dark mode and minimal lag experienced 😁
0 Likes