Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update destroyed phone

(Topic created on: 07-06-2022 10:16 AM)
Members_J6gVpPP
First Poster
Options

My S7 Edge updated during night on Friday. The phone was then dead, no power, no charging, nothing.

I phoned Samsung and explained the phone is out of warranty but their update destroyed it. The screen was last on at 6am that morning when it was swirling around installing the update followed by UI has become unstable message just before it died. 

Everything is lost. There's a phone backup on Samsung website but I can't access my info unless I buy a new Samsung phone which is not happening. 

They said I could send it in and pay for a repair but they can't say the cost until they have my phone. The back has a crack in the glass which they say is compulsory to repair even though I said no. 

It would cost 200.00 plus to fix so I'd rather buy a new phone from a different manufacturer than trust Samsung again. 

I think it's disgusting how I've been treated. 

A lot of sentimental stuff was on the phone including last text messages from my friend. 

I'll never buy from Samsung again and I'm making it my mission to tell the world.  I have to call trading standards on Monday to see if they can help. I strongly believe the update from Samsung had something in it to force the customer to purchase a new phone. 

7 REPLIES 7
Mackenzieingh23
Apprentice
Options
That sounds awful sorry about you losing your messages. I honestly didn't know Samsungs support was that bad *****
Bart Peeters
First Poster
Options

I just had exactly the same experience. I got prompt to update my phone, I received the message that the 'your phone is now updated' and than my phone died. Can't start, can't do anything???

Fredi3
First Poster
Options

Hi …my s7 edge recently received an update,I download it and suddenly my phone shocked and refused to turn on ,it doesn’t receive power from charger and it can’t be read by my computer …and I’m  certainly sure that the update was the cause …and my phone was in the best condition  

MMEEG
First Poster
Options

This just happened to me 

Update was failing switching back and forth from Android mascot to DOS like screen saying file not found 

My phone was completely dead after that chargers that shows that they are charging shows it , but phone itself no lights , no hard or soft reset useful

Thank you Samsung for sending a destructive software to end my phone 

0 Likes
dmitriydementor
Apprentice
Options

Samsung Note 9 - same situation, after update my phone went to infinite reboot loop and became very hot. Official service couldn't help, told me the only way to fix it - to replace motherboard with is device half price. I'm furious of how Sasmung treats "old devices"

0 Likes
VP69
First Poster
Options

I think my S21 Ultra just did the same thing. I have only had the phone for 16 months, so no warranty  😞  I am hoping it is only the battery and it can be salvaged so I can at least get my photos off of it. They were supposed to be backed up but for some reason they weren't? Hoping for a miracle. Very disappointed to read that Samsung is not caring about their customers. What a shame.

0 Likes
Derange
First Poster
Options

I know I'm 3 years late in this topic but I just googled "samsung Update destroyed my phone" today and so I'm here. To anyone reading this, NEVER, ever update your Samsung phone. Especially old models. It will mess up your phone because they wan't you to buy a new one!!! I can't believe South Koreans could be extremely capitalists!!!

0 Likes