Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two x S7 Edge Phones have died at the same time!

(Topic created on: 03-03-2021 12:14 AM)
Tonst744
Journeyman
Options

My Daughter and I both bought S7 Edge phones on the same day at the end of 2017.

Last weekend, both phones completely died whilst being used with exactly the same symptoms.

This happened within 48 hours of each other, which suggest to me that there has been an update which has caused a fatal error and rendered both phones completely dead. 

In the middle of doing something, despite the batteries showing healthy charge levels, the screen went black and the phones are unresponsive.

We have tried hard and soft reset, switching on and off, recharging with chargers, computers both mains and wireless, to no avail.  the phones will not switch on or off, and mine clearly had plenty of battery as it had a green notification light flashing for over 24hours after it "died"

I did do an online chat with Samsung but as they are out of warranty, they can only advise booking in for a workshop repair for which there will be a charge. 

I can't believe that both phones have developed the same fault at exactly the same time in their useage life which could have caused the problem.

I have seen similar issues reported on this community recently but as I have said, this has happened to two phones bought at exactly the same time!

Does anyone have any suggestions? 

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20
Tonst744
Journeyman
Options

It's not managed to connect after virtually an hour so I don't hold out much hope. 

0 Likes
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
all depends on what is the cause of it all. there's quite a long of devices where the impossible has have happened.

that said If nothing happens tonight I can try and help further but you may need professional advice from a repair centre or similar
0 Likes
Tonst744
Journeyman
Options

Thanks a lot.  

At the moment I will concentrate on acquiring and setting up a new phone. I don't think I will be able to access my S7 anytime soon.   

I was thinking that i may have to take it to a shop later to see if anything could be done.  

That will be a later job as it will just be kept as a spare/back up if I can get it fixed. 

Cheers

Thanks for all your help.  

Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
no problem my friend its why the forum exist!

I'll look for some alternative methods and apps for you that are easy and simple to use if interested you can ping me a message via pm or to liongates139@gmail.com

if this helped at all a like or marking the post as solved for now would be much appreciated and until I hear from you again if at all, I wish you the best of luck!

on a final note I had a look around my local repair shops this AM and the S7 is still being repaired dirt cheap here in North London.

Good luck! and if you are looking for a specific type of phone for a certain budget range I'll be happy to assist with perspective and pros/cons based on my experience with most current devices in all price ranges :smiling-face:
Tonst744
Journeyman
Options

I would love to accept this as a solution as you have been so helpful, however it hasn't actually solved the problem even though I believe that it should have done. 

I haven't seen anything before which came so close and I would have never thought that Smart Switch could be used this way. 

I do believe that it is a software issue as both phones developed the same issue at the same time .

Most people would not have had two identical phones purchased at the same time to give them this knowledge.  Most people would assume it was a physical fault which had just happened.  I just need to find a way of making the phone actually make a connection.   

I haven't actually tried the other one yet.

0 Likes
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
I only meant IF the above worked!

usually you'd be able tell of power went through to the device via the glass back but depending on what exactly has cause both models to die within the same day or two (which to be fair is fairly unusual in its own right) it can be a number of things from (as described: similar/identical symptoms) a software update or application/ malware to a physical hardware problem caused by charging units etc.

if the devices are showing no connection whatsoever even through a PC after a minimum of 2hrs connection that's a worry and I would definitely either get a repair kit and go through or pop into a 3rd party store as you're outside the 1 year manufactures or 2 years contract guarantees.

if you'd like as mentioned I can link you what I believe to be the best and most reasonably prices tools and combo kits (usually includes a new screen, charging port and a battery) for you!

please do keep me posted on any developments as I'll be happy to help any way I can !
Genya
First Poster
Options
Hi, after updating my phone with the last update my notes , and the secure folder notes are not working, how can I fix this problem ???
0 Likes
DT_Galaxy
First Poster
Options

Hi @

I can understand your grief and frustration...

Can't Believe it is a global problem - Samsung should take this seriously and take responsible to all the phones that die due to software updates.

My phone S7 Edge also died around the same time 1st week of march. I left my phone plugged in for charging and it was charging fine and later I notice it is switched off - doesn't charge and doesn't boot and no lights.

I have also tried wireless charging - no luck. All soft and hard resets - recovery modes failed to fix it.

Is this some thing like Apple - which forcefully makes older models perform badly. Samsung pushing bugs to kill the old model phones ??? 

So disappointing - as I owned Galaxy S, S2 , S4, S5 , S6 Edge and all worked fine . But S7 Edge dies due to a Software bug released by SAMSUNG...  !

0 Likes
Tonst744
Journeyman
Options

Hi DT_Galaxy 

Thanks for letting me know that your S7Edge did the same as ours, at the same time. 

Literally we bought them from the same place on the  same day and they just went black and totally unresponsive whilst using them within about 24 hrs of each other.  Now that can't be coincidence but when I rang up Samsung Support, they weren't interested apart from offering  a 10% discount.  I would have thought they would have wanted to investigate but not interested.  My daughter had already ordered her new phone as she couldn't be phoneless at the time  and I fell for the S20 when  I saw it and my old phone was getting a bit full. 

Thanks for letting me know that yours went the same way. It must be a software fault but I don't know what to do about it now. 

0 Likes
steve85191
Student
Options

I have posted elsewhere in this forum that I have had 4 Samsung phones which have unexpectedly died within 3 or 4 years after purchase.  Latest is an A5 2017 model after repeatedly going into download mode or just restarting.  Prior to that a Galaxy Note 4 (which I think was subject to a class action in USA because Samsung allegedly knew about an overheating issue) and 2 earlier  models.   I like the Samsung phones but this is putting me off buying a new Samsung.