Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV casting image stuck in portrait mode

(Topic created on: 14-05-2022 11:35 AM)
neuronetv
Journeyman
Options

I have a samsung galaxy S8 and I cast my phone screen to my Tv using a google chromecast.
whenever I take photos or video I always shoot in landscape mode, never in portrait mode.
the problem i have is I'd like to record video on my phone while at the same time casting to TV so I can monitor the live image on the TV. but when I open the camera on the phone the image on the TV locks into portrait mode (see the picture attached). the image on the phone itself is correct but it's on is side on the TV.
all other functions on the phone work fine in landsape mode and they cast correctly to the tv in landscape mode but the opening the camera app suddenly flips the TV image on its side into portrait mode. any solution to this?20220513_164616.jpg

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I've just tried using Smart View and the picture rotates with the phone.
neuronetv
Journeyman
Options

ok thanks but how does one turn off portrait mode? I've been trawling google and looking all over the phone I but can't find this

0 Likes
neuronetv
Journeyman
Options

I don't have smart view on my phone

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
0 Likes
neuronetv
Journeyman
Options

thankyou but the rabbit hole just goes deeper.
if I search for apps on my phone there is no smart view (screenshot 1). however I do have a smart view app that appears in my settings (screenshot 2) but all that does is give me app info and the the disable button is greyed out (screenshot 3) which tells me the app may not be enabled in the first place. still scratching my head....

Screenshot_20220513-231940_Finder.jpgScreenshot_20220513-232249_Finder.jpgScreenshot_20220513-231832_Settings.jpg

0 Likes
neuronetv
Journeyman
Options

at the lnk you gave it says:

"Screen rotation displays content in landscape (horizontal) or portrait (vertical) and isn't available for all apps"
I have a feeling in my bones that screen rotation is not supported in the camera app. I managed to lock the screen in landscape mode and my homepage and all other apps appeard in landscape mode screenshot 1). but when I opened the camera app the screenshot was in portrait mode (screenshot 2). unless I'm mistaken the the camera appears to be cemented into portrait mode and nothing will change it.
when I took screenshot2 I was holding the camera in landscape position.

Screenshot_20220513-234621_One UI Home.jpgScreenshot_20220513-234419_Camera.jpg

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Hi, explore your dropdown menu, my S8 shows many things including Smart View and auto rotate.
0 Likes
neuronetv
Journeyman
Options

thankyou I did find smart view under the drop down menu however when I switched the camera on (while casting to the TV) this message briefly appeared on both the phone and the TV 20220514_133330.jpg(see screenshot)

0 Likes
neuronetv
Journeyman
Options

yes I've done that but there's nothing i can see to correct the image thats cast to TV

0 Likes