Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

turn off Two-Step Verification

(Topic created on: 07-05-2020 02:55 AM)
boguc
Student
Options

Hi,

few days ago I changed password for my second account on SG9. After change, system want from me in 2nd step  code which was generated in procedure of creation account. Not code form SMS or email - I have access to phone and email. I dont remeber codes because I created account many years ago, when I use SG2. An now, after few years, I cant log in to my account because of codes. How can I turn off Two-Step Verification withot logging to account ? Is there special support addres where can I send ask for turn off 2 step verification ? Really only one way is factory reset phone and creating new account ? Especially when I have access to emial and phone (SMS). Why Two-Step Verification ask me for code form list and not from SMS or email ?

113 REPLIES 113
leexgx
Navigator
Options

@Baysider wrote:

@leexgx 
Please note that it is definitely 2FA that is the problem. I am not prompted to enter my mobile number on the account verification screen, it automatically sends an SMS to my phone using the number stored in my account.

ok but you just said when your trying to log into your phone its asking for the mobile number

@Baysider wrote:

I have tried entering my number in 3 different ways on the second line below the drop-down selection of the country code. I have entered it with no country code and the 0 dropped (423 ....), with the country code and the zero dropped (61423 ...) and with no country code and the zero left in (0423 ...). For each of the first two options I receive a 6-digit code via SMS but the setup page loops and asks for the code again. For the last option the account reports "Failed to send SMS".

NB: putting a + in front on the second line isn't possible, it accepts only digits.

that is not 2FA login, thats device verification

0 Likes
Baysider
Navigator
Options

@leexgx  no I am changing the format of the number in my Samsung account on my desktop PC to see if it makes any difference. On my phone it never asks for the number. 

0 Likes
Baysider
Navigator
Options

@leexgx  this is on my computer screen Samsung Acc.JPG

0 Likes
leexgx
Navigator
Options

@Baysider wrote:

@leexgx  no I am changing the format of the number in my Samsung account on my desktop PC to see if it makes any difference. On my phone it never asks for the number. 

ok so your trying to do it on on the page below (yes that picture is what i have)

https://account.samsung.com/membership/contents/security/2step-verification/gate

so so when you try and log into your phone what is the first thing it asks you, is it enter the sms code thats sent to you or enter number to get code

0 Likes
Baysider
Navigator
Options

@leexgx  when I log in on my phone it asks for my account password, and then this page opens up and I receive an SMS with the code.

Screenshot_20200507-115737.png

0 Likes
leexgx
Navigator
Options
i assume it fails when you enter the code (do you Receive the sms code)

don't enter one at the moment
0 Likes
Baysider
Navigator
Options

@leexgx  then this screen appears. It briefly autofills the code but then loses it, and I have to enter it manually. When i click "verify" at the bottom right it re-loads the same screen over and over. This is exactly what everyone else in this thread is reporting. 

Screenshot_20200507-115840.png

0 Likes
Baysider
Navigator
Options

@leexgx  to answer earlier question, I have Android 7.0

0 Likes
leexgx
Navigator
Options

@Baysider wrote:

@leexgx  then this screen appears. It briefly autofills the code but then loses it, and I have to enter it manually. When i click "verify" at the bottom right it re-loads the same screen over and over. This is exactly what everyone else in this thread is reporting. 

Screenshot_20200507-115840.png

ok lets forget SMS verification as that seems broken

go back to the 2step verfication page and lets try somthing els, have you use 1 time rolling codes before, install Authy and get it setup so its ready to add a new account (you can secure it authy with your samsunglock screen fingerprint when ever you open it and have the codes backed up so you can sync it with other devices, but you dont have to do that right now)

goto samsung account page on your PC (below) and enable the OTP/Authenticator app toggle and it on and will give you a 3D barcode, scan that into Authy and then the site will ask you to verfiy its working if it works it say all is done

just for safety Print the backup codes as well on the below page as well (as that gives you another way to get into the account)

https://account.samsung.com/membership/contents/security/2step-verification/gate

i curranlty have the Authy option enabled on my account right now and is working fine on both of my phones (S8 and S9),

i recommend Authy becues it lets you sync your Authy between devices (as moth Auth apps dont have a backup witch can lock you out of your accounts and mean you have to reset them to use it again,, with authy you can just log into new phone and it will restore all OTP codes)

0 Likes
Baysider
Navigator
Options

@leexgx  I have printed backup codes, but my phone doesn't give me any location to enter a code with more than 6 digits, so this is useless. For the other option I'll need to find a QR scanner app before I can try it.

0 Likes