Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

SM-J600FN phone bricked by June 2021 Update

(Topic created on: 21-06-2021 10:20 PM)
str8chat
Journeyman
Options

Today my J6 phone downloaded and installed the latest update. All appeared normal with a Android man and progress bar as I have seen before. Then it appeared to restart with the SAMSUNG word displayed on an otherwise black screen as appears on a normal boot.

Next, the screen went blank and 30 minutes later nothing had happened. I tried to power up again, thinking it had shut down - nothing. Next, I tried a hard reboot (volume down and power button together for about 15 seconds). The phone vibrated as it does on a normal boot, but the screen stayed blank. I tried calling the phone, and it went straight to voice mail.

Next I tried to get into the boot menu (volume up and power). Nothing happened.

Has anyone else had a problem with this update. Does anyone have a fix other than replacing the phone or an expensive repair?

Any help will be appreciated.

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12
MoxNox
Explorer
Options
Do you know how much battery did you have before starting the update? What happens when you try to charge it?
0 Likes
Blessed4life
Black Belt 
Options
Hi have you tried plugging in the charger & turning on the device?
0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
To boot into recovery your phone needs to be connected to a PC and see if you can clear system cache.
0 Likes
str8chat
Journeyman
Options

The phone was at about 50%, and on charge.

0 Likes
str8chat
Journeyman
Options

Yes. It was on charge at the time.

0 Likes
str8chat
Journeyman
Options

When connected to a PC nothing happens. Even a hard reboot does nothing as long as the PC is connected. If I disconnect the PC, a hard reboot gives a short burst of vibration.

Smartswitch doesn't offer any assistance with respect to an update failure. It says that it needs the code from the Smartswitch on the PC that was doing the update, but the update was over WiFi direct from the Samsung update service and not via a PC.

Is there anyway to boot into recovery or does it need some application other than Smartswitch when connected to the PC. I have no way of telling whether the phone is switched on or off.

I have tried forcing a power off by holding the power button for about 30 seconds, and the tried the boot menu (Volume Up and Power) but to no effect.

0 Likes
MoxNox
Explorer
Options
What happens now when you try to charge the phone?
0 Likes
str8chat
Journeyman
Options

To MoxNox,

Nothing different from the symptoms described earlier. Apart from a short burst of vibration on a hard reboot, the phone shows no sign of life.

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
To access recovery the phone just needs a PC connection. If you can access download mode you could try Odin to reflash the firmware otherwise it needs to go to a service centre.
0 Likes