Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Security of Samsung devices

(Topic created on: 08/03/17 17:48)
pjhaahl
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

We have just seen it publicised that the CIA had been able to exploit Samsung devices and gain access to microphones etc, to use our devices for survellance.

This information has now been leaked puting it into the hands of hackers.

Samsung are 'looking into it' but will not comment further, and their call centre teams are just saying carry on using the devices. When I called the person involved told me there was no-one else I could speak to about it, despite not being allowed to give me any information.

Are Samsung devices safe to use without fear of security breaches?

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
AntS
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi @pjhaahl

Just to put our latest official statement on this out there for you guys:

“Protecting consumers’ privacy and the security of our devices is a top priority at Samsung. We are aware of the report in question and are urgently looking into the matter. The report describes a malicious software installed through a physically connected USB drive which applies to firmwares on TVs sold in 2012 and 2013, most of which have already been patched through a firmware update. We work hard everyday to protect consumers’ privacy. We continually monitor for any security risks across our Smart TV platforms and if we find one, we promptly address it. The best action that consumers can take to ensure the security of any device is to always keep their software and applications updated at all times.”

View solution in context

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
BandOfBrothers1
Pathfinder
Options
Other Smartphones
I'm in the Uk
I don't think MI5 / MI6 would be interested in little old me.

However to be safe I'll continue to wear my tin foil hat. :winking-face:
My Current Phone > Samsung Galaxy s7 edge SM-G935F. {XEU}
0 Likes
pjhaahl
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

Maybe the CIA and MI5 wouldnt, but there is no reason why hackers wouldnt want to exploit the same security vunerabilities and backdoors in order to steal your personal details for the purposes of Identity theft etc.

Do I think the CIA and MI5 are interested in me, of course I don't.

They dont care about me at all. I am just acceptable collateral damage to them. But yet apparently they exist to keep us safe - Doesnt add up does it?

0 Likes
Solution
AntS
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi @pjhaahl

Just to put our latest official statement on this out there for you guys:

“Protecting consumers’ privacy and the security of our devices is a top priority at Samsung. We are aware of the report in question and are urgently looking into the matter. The report describes a malicious software installed through a physically connected USB drive which applies to firmwares on TVs sold in 2012 and 2013, most of which have already been patched through a firmware update. We work hard everyday to protect consumers’ privacy. We continually monitor for any security risks across our Smart TV platforms and if we find one, we promptly address it. The best action that consumers can take to ensure the security of any device is to always keep their software and applications updated at all times.”

View solution in context

0 Likes