Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung upgrade klarna declined

(Topic created on: 12-08-2021 11:04 AM)
whitsy
Explorer
Options

Hey all,

Had an email advising my upgrade window is now open, fold 3 announced, hurray!

Well, not quite. 

Went to upgrade and klarna declined the credit application. 

I contacted them, and they advised it was not due to adverse credit, rather the credit check result was that they failed to identify me...

I use totally money, Experian etc, so I can see the hard search they did. It's identical to the one I can see from last year. They searched my name. DOB and address, all correct.

Klarna say they cannot change the outcome. It's an automated process that they cannot change. 

A Google search of, 'samsung klarna declined' brings up a lot of these complaints. Multiple users unable to upgrade because of this issue. 

The only reason I signed up to this agreement was knowing I could upgrade. And now through no fault of my own, I can't. I can't even pay up the klarna credit early and sell the device. It's a complete scam.

My advice, think twice before signing up to the upgrade program, klarna are terrible, yet the only option. I was a member of the apple upgrade program for years and never had a single issue!
24 REPLIES 24
garcea
Pioneer
Options
you can contact klarna and you can pay up early by bank transfer.this is what they told me..anyway this is so dissapointing from samsung,being in the same situation
ad4m_b
Journeyman
Options

Im looking at old topics from january when this happened and it looks like it never got resolved... ive been upgrading with samsung for the last 4 years and now i cant? Is this it then? i have to stop upgrading....

whitsy
Explorer
Options

I think there is an issue somewhere, be it klarna or samsung, but both are digging their heels in regarding where the issue lies - hence I have complaints open with both of them at the moment. Though I don't expect anything to come of it, as the feeling I've had thus far is that neither is all that bothered.

The samsung website it littered with errors, technical difficulty messages that differ every time I tired etc and klarna are blaming their system, but won't be specific and point me at experian when I try to get them to see sense.

Once you hit them with concrete evidence it's them - back to the script "just because you've been accepted before doesn't mean you'll be accepted again, every credit application is different" blah blah...

ad4m_b
Journeyman
Options

I just tried using edge instead of chrome and it worked..... 

0 Likes
whitsy
Explorer
Options

Ah congrats! Were you signed into the samsung website when you tried I wonder?

0 Likes
ad4m_b
Journeyman
Options

previously i was but on edge (ive never used the browser since building the machine) i had no auto fills or anything so might have had some impact..

0 Likes
ShadowTriad
Journeyman
Options

Hey there, I had this exact same problem last year when I was trying to go from my Note 10 + to Note 20 Ultra, despite having a really good credit score too. I wouldn't bother trying to contact either Samsung or Klarna again as like someone mentioned before they simply blame the other. I was close to giving up as my upgrade window was closing, until I found a random thread saying that it might actually be a browser issue. I was sceptical but was willing to try anything at that point. For whatever reason,  I tried to going through the upgrade process on the Samsung Internet app on my phone rather than on a desktop with Google Chrome/Microsoft Edge and by some kind of miracle it actually ended up working for me.

So yeah, maybe try using the Samsung Internet app on your phone to do the process - and let me know if this actually ends up working, I'm curious whether I just got lucky that day or it actually is a browser issue...

If it does fail, do NOT continuously try to get the upgrade programme to work. Klarna end up doing a hard check on you every single time you try - and it WILL effect your credit score.

Good luck!

0 Likes
whitsy
Explorer
Options

Also, does your trade in show on the order summary? I've noticed that sometimes it shows 3 items inc my note 20, other times it says 'yeah you can upgrade' I select the device, condition, continue, and it just shows the new phone and starter kit in the basket?

0 Likes
hipwell
Pathfinder
Options
Exact same issue here, tryed upgrading, it passed the credit check first time and then crashed at the deposit part so I had to start the process again, it then failed the check and left me with a number of hard and soft searches on my credit score. Called Klana, they are the most unhelpful people I have ever contacted basically said it's because I'm a scrubber with bad credit. I earn 50k a year, have got impeccable credit rating and the only credit I have is my klarna note 20 ultra and my mortgage. I have put in a complaint with TransUnion to try and get these hard and soft searches off my credit file, I'll then be selling the note 20 and going to Apple I think. Poor service.
0 Likes