Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

samsung smart switch

(Topic created on: 02-11-2020 02:42 PM)
Shan8864
Student
Options

i just got a new phone and have been told to use samsung smart switch to transfer over data, however i have a few questions. My data includes files from school that i have set up into multiple folders, by transferring my data will i be able to keep the date created/modified or will my files have new dates and times? Is there a way to preserve it or another way to do it? Im not aware of any other ways to transfer my data, i could do it via sd card i think? But id need to get a new sd card as my current one isnt big enough. Any and all help is very much appreciated, thank you :smiling-face:

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Mitzzz999
Hotshot
Options
you can try Samsung Smart Switch to see the end result to move all data.

your old device still retains all data so if you do the copy over and not happy... just hard reset your new device to new again and then try your SD card option.

Samsung Smart Switch is probably the best switching tool I've ever used... I can tell you it pretty much moves everything but unsure about file times and dates sorry... especially if it's a none Samsung to a Samsung.

View solution in context

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
Solution
Mitzzz999
Hotshot
Options
you can try Samsung Smart Switch to see the end result to move all data.

your old device still retains all data so if you do the copy over and not happy... just hard reset your new device to new again and then try your SD card option.

Samsung Smart Switch is probably the best switching tool I've ever used... I can tell you it pretty much moves everything but unsure about file times and dates sorry... especially if it's a none Samsung to a Samsung.
0 Likes
Shan8864
Student
Options

Hi, thanks for the quick response, i apologise for my own late reply! I actually did try using samsung smart switch, it messed up all my time stamps but that was to be expected, to be honest. However, despite the issues with the images and files, the app was perfect for transferring everything else. Ive just ordered a new sd card, im planning to zip the files and transfer from my old sd to the new one before putting it in my phone, im hoping that this will work! Thanks for the help :smiling-face:

Ray2004
First Poster
Options

Hi I have a question did you smart switch with another Samsung! Because I'm very afraid of my dates being changed on the new phone! ..

0 Likes
Anmac1789
First Poster
Options

The only sure way I know is to use linux and use the find and zip commands to make a complete backup of the phone. Or use something like android drive and assign a drive letter to your samsung phone and then make a .rar or .zip. Or you can use a webdav app which assigns a drive letter to your phone and do the same .rar and .zip backup of your entire phone. DO NOTE that, sometimes the seconds can be -1 or +1 seconds off depending on the above method. So please make sure you test out with a small sample of files first. Also, 7zip seems to retain timestamps better between linux and windows whereas .zip files always -1 second or +1 second between windows and linux so be certain and test and be precise in your methods. Goodluck!

0 Likes
Anmac1789
First Poster
Options

My answer would be the same as in my previous post above.

0 Likes