Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Samsung S8 random notification sound with screen light up and a small dotted circle that grows from the home button

(Topic created on: 10-08-2018 08:30 AM)
Clare2
Student
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi

My phone keeps making a notification sound and vibrates when there's no notification. It's not a sound I have set to any of my notifications and I can't find the sound in settings. It's even doing it when my phone is in do not disturb so is waking me up in the night. Anyone else having this problem? 

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
ChrisM
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi @Clare2.

Is this happening randomly or at regular intervals? What model of phone do you have?

0 Likes
Clare2
Student
Options
Other Smartphones
Hi, it's happening at random times. Doesn't matter if the phone is on or on lock screen. It's a s9
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
Other Smartphones
Hi @Clare2. When you hear the sound, is there anything in your notification menu when you swipe from the top of the screen to the bottom? It may well be an application acting in the background such as your email app notifying you of recent posts in your inbox. With this in mind, as a troubleshooting step, please ensure that WiFi and Mobile Data are disabled when you place the phone on Do Not Disturb.
0 Likes
Clare2
Student
Options
Other Smartphones
Hi @andrewL
No there's nothing in the notification panel and no messages etc. I've got my mail set to download only when I go on the app so it's not the emails. I can't turn off data when on do not disturb as I need my elderly mum to be able to contact me. It's only started doing this in the last few weeks
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
Other Smartphones
As a troubleshooting step please restart the phone in Safe Mode via the following steps. If the problem stops then this will help to determine whether the issue is stemming from a third party app: Turn the device off > Press and hold the Power key > Release the Power key when the S8 logo appears > Press and hold the Volume Down key immediately after releasing the Power key > Continue to hold the Volume Down button until the device finishes booting.
0 Likes
Clare2
Student
Options
Other Smartphones
Hi
Did that last night. Left it in safe mode for a few hours and it didn't happen. Put it back to normal and uninstalled some apps I've recently downloaded in case it was one of them but it still went off at 3 this morning
0 Likes
Chewbacca
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones
Hi Clare2

Most likely its a third party cleaner or security app. or the thorch/flashlight app. It might sound crazy but sometimes these type of apps can devlope these type of issues even if youve had them for ages. If you have any of these type of apps I would get rid of them.
Hope this helps.
0 Likes
Crunchy_Peanut
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

Your charging cable is bad, or your outlet is worn out or loose fitting to the plug or something. That's the sound and visual effect for when you plug in your phone. The cable is bad so in the middle of the night when it blips, it'll make that noise supposedly without anything happening

0 Likes