Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Samsung S8 camera app records wrong geo-tag

(Topic created on: 16-08-2017 03:00 PM)
pju
Journeyman
Options

The camera app on my S8 does not geo-tag my pictures correctly.

I have installed "Open Camera" which does a better job -and to do some debugging.

Example:

On a given position I took 2 photos, one with "Open Camera" and one with "Camera". The area is a suburb with plenty of streets and no tall buildings. I had just travelled about 7 km on bike.

I checked the geotags in "Gallery".

• Open Camera: The position is correct - the streetname is some hundred meters wrong, ie. quite a few streets away.
  • Camera: The position is wrong - actually the one I had left ½ an hour ago. The street adress matches the shown position to some degree - but not impressing.

So, I do not have a problem with the gps in the phone since Open Camera gets it right. Other GPS-apps also works fine.

I can edit the photo immediately - erase the position and setting the new one by homing in on current position. I then get the (correct) position as coordinates - so again - GPS works.

After some time - have not figured out the trigger - the position sometimes gets right.

It MIGHT be a matter of not being able to look up a street address - then using the last good one...

I am pretty sure the problem has come with the latest upgrade of either Android or the Camera app - most inclined to Android.

Galaxy S8
16 REPLIES 16
pju
Journeyman
Options

May I ask what was updated ?

I see no Camera update in my update list.

Galaxy S8
0 Likes
DRUIDDOODE
Voyager
Options

Hi you could try optimising your location via Google maps and in the settings there is an option to optimise by moving your device in a figure of 8 so the sensors can set an accurate reading.

Also pressing on the blue dot a few times also optimises your location 

I can get my S7 edge to get a very accurate reading and even the direction 

I do have to have location turned on in my pull down though.

DRUID DOODE
pju
Journeyman
Options

Hi, 

Thanks for the response - but the GPS is as accurate as can be expected. 

Somehow the Camera app just isn't able to use the info correctly.

Both Open Camera and Lightroom gets it right.

And I can make the geo-tag correct by immediately editing the photo in Gallery.

Galaxy S8
0 Likes
SubTer
Pioneer
Options

Hi pju,

I’m from the NL and yesterday afternoon, I received a software-update for my S8 and now the camera-app records the right location, but the location description in the gallery is still wrong. That’s no issue for me, because I copy my photos to my Samsung Tablet SM T813 and in the tablet’s gallery the location description is perfect. So it seems there still is a problem with the gallery of the S8.

SM-G950F

Android 7.0

Samsung Experience 8.1

Sec. Patch: Aug. 1st 2017.

0 Likes
pju
Journeyman
Options

Hi SubTer,

Thanks for the update!

Seems like DK is behind NL - not only in womens football 🙂

I'll wait for the update - sounds good.

I don't care much for the description either as long as the location is right.

I'm awaiting response in the Samsun Members app - also to see if Samsung actually responds something useful. It's a very nice feature - if it works!

Galaxy S8
0 Likes
PaoMan24
Journeyman
Options

Same problem here, even worse: 50% of my pictures taken with Samsung camera, are geotagged even 150 km away from my location, and in a random way, 4 or 5 different locations, many km away from my spot. Are sometimes places where I have been some mounths before, or even places where I've never been in my life.

2 years and nothing changed update after update.

(Samsung S7 stock, firmware updated, all apps updated, compass calibrated, network working and geo location set to high precision).

0 Likes
pju
Journeyman
Options

Sorry to hear that.

My problem fortunately went away with the next update - as it did for SubTer.

The location description still is not impressing, but fairly OK.

I got response via the member app - recommended to install "Galaxy Smart Tutor" app for remote support.

Luckily the answer came after the update, so I never trried it.

Galaxy S8